Largest manual-control aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest manual-control aircraft

Can anyone tell me what was the largest airplane ever produced with all-manual control surfaces?

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
    Can anyone tell me what was the largest airplane ever produced with all-manual control surfaces?
    Hi Ralph,
    Do you want to further stipulate manual but also not hydraulically boosted/assisted?
    Was just watching a three part series where Kermit Weeks does an extensive walkthrough of a Martin Mars. Manual but, IIRC, hydraulic boosted.

* Hmm . . . how’s bout da Spruce Goose? Got’a have at least aerodynamic assist?

* Perhaps one of dem old-timey humongous Italian or Rusky aer-o-planes?

Regards,
    Tom Charlton (who’s Piper Cub has all very man-well controls)
    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Lotsa possible candidates, but I couldn't find definitive control information on any of them: ME-323 Gigant, Spruce Goose, the solar-powered plane which flew around the world, B-36. Tupolev ANT-20, Kalinin K-7, Douglas XB-19, ...

Then, there's the definition of "large" -- wingspan? maximum gross weight? fuselage length? cabin volume?
      Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

OK, I didn't think the B-36 had them, but I see it did. The Goose had hydraulics...the ANT-20 apparently was electric.

Comment

Working...
        X