Clear All

• Memphis Belle Moves To Dayton

AVWEB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Memphis Belle 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	2958

It's saying "move into" it's new home, but goes on to say it moved from Memphis to Ohio in 2005. I guess it's been in restoration at Dayton these past 13 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
      AVWEB
      Mase, interesting article, I took Bob along with me years ago from some tourstop airport down in Carolina over to Charlotte in the B-29 FIFI.

best, randy

Comment

My wife's Dad and his two brothers were all Air Corps flying officers of some sort. Uncle Bob was a B-17 pilot in the 8th. One of the family treasures is a crew photo of him and some other guys with Memphis Belle.

I had to explain he wasn't one of the famous ten, but simply took some crew training in the airplane after its return stateside...or simply went out on the flightline with a camera.

It occurs to me that there may be hundreds of similar pictures in steamer trunks and cardboard boxes all over the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post
          It occurs to me that there may be hundreds of similar pictures in
          Concur, been try'n to remember here what Carolina airport that was, now I recall that it was Asheville. But can't for the life of me remember now whether the woman with Bob that day was her or not.

best, randy

Comment

It's saying "move into" it's new home, but goes on to say it moved from Memphis to Ohio in 2005.
            I was at NAS Memphis, AKA Millington Regional NQA, about 15 years ago and saw the "Memphis Belle" in pieces in a hangar there. They had rescued it from Mud Island and brought it to the airport. The group there was a bit ticked off that the Air Force wanted their asset back, and they intended to cut it up in order to transport it. It had a lot of corrosion, unless they did a LOT of work, it probably would never fly again.

Comment

Working...
            X