X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graceful entry...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
      Fly’n a Piper J-3 Cub is about as much fun fly’n as fly’n gets. And dat's a fact
      Been 27 years since I last flew one. I did a tailwheel refresher at KLWM. With an airport 5 miles from my home, had to drive 60 miles each way for that. The airplane was a L-4; don't know if it was an original one or a wannabee.

After I got checked out, I went flying with a friend out to the east of LWM. We hit a bump and the wet compass jumped off its pivot. Found I-95, followed that northbound until we hit the Merrimack River, followed that to Haverill, MA, then called the tower on the handheld radio that the FBO provided. For some reason, the tower couldn't hear me, but Ground Control could.

They told me to report somewhere. I told them that the compass had broken, so if it was all the same to them, I'd follow the river until I was on top of the airport. They didn't seem to be overly surprised at that.

Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post
        Graceful entry...
        Hi Jeff and others,

Watching people trying to figure out how climb into or extricate themselves from a Cub I often think of The Hokey Pokey tune.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Jeff Hartmann
          Jeff Hartmann commented
          Editing a comment
          Now I'll have that in my head all day....but funny!

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
        the wet compass jumped off its pivot. . . . Good times.
        Hi Stephanie

The Aircraft compass in my Cub always says: 350° ish no matter what direction I’m headed. The crude automotive compass stuck on the windshield is marginally helpful. Calibrated with 15° ticks and no lubber line. Somehow managed to get me 2,300mi from El Cajon, CA to Sarasota, FL.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

... and then there was the restoration of NC98790. I've only found the wing photos so far.
          Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
          ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

The Aircraft compass in my Cub always says: 350° ish no matter what direction I’m headed. The crude automotive compass stuck on the windshield is marginally helpful. Calibrated with 15° ticks and no lubber line. Somehow managed to get me 2,300mi from El Cajon, CA to Sarasota, FL.
            Heh. Flew from MA to FL a couple of times. Easy-- find the Hudson River, fly down that until reaching the ocean, then keep going with water to port and land to starboard. Hard to get seriously lost.

Out here, it'd be nice if they put bigger letters on the water towers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post

Heh. Flew from MA to FL a couple of times. Easy-- find the Hudson River, fly down that until reaching the ocean, then keep going with water to port and land to starboard.
              Or the other way around.

Comment

My time in the J-3 was short. Started lessons in the late 60’s at Zhanns in Amityville, LI. A couple of lessons it and they got brandie new Piper 140’s. It was love at first flight. They had a radio, which no one used...

Comment

I did my PPL in 1960 at Mary Gaffaney's school on the old Tamiami airport in Miami, mostly in Champ 7FC's with a little J-3 time. Embry-Riddle, across the field, had a J-3 fleet so big they staggered the hours at 20-min intervals. At the end of a session the entire pattern would land, form up in parade, and head straight across the taxiable grass to their ramp, tails up if it was upwind.

One day I noticed their movement looked kinda funny...sure enough, they were all a foot off the ground, with an occasional bounce.
                  Last edited by Ralph Jones; 01-02-2018, 16:40.

Comment

Got my tailwheel endorsement in a Cub and came back for ski season. Lotsa fun, but neither Cub nor Stearman prepared me adequately for taxiing a DC-3.
                    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Four aircraft: Two J-3 Cubs,
                      Duz yours have a metal spar or a wood spar? Mine's a 39 wood spar.

best, randy

Comment

... The Hokey Pokey tune[FONT="Times New Roman"].
                        Hightech version, sorta from Germany.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwaxWoJPUC0

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                          Duz yours have a metal spar or a wood spar? Mine's a 39 wood spar.
                          best, randy
                          Hi Randy,

* Metal spars although wood would have been ok with me.
                          * Upgraded with a C-85. Much more gooder than a 65!
                          * An extra 10.5 gal usable from a wing tank. Made a huge diff on the California ~ Florida ferry flight.

Regards,
                          Tom Charlton

Comment

Originally posted by Séamas Mulholland View Post
                            Hightech version, sorta from Germany.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwaxWoJPUC0
                            Hi Séamas,
                            Now that’s funny<grin>!

Regards,
                            Tom Charlton

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
                              but neither Cub nor Stearman prepared me adequately for taxiing a DC-3.
                              Chuckle, duz anything?

Come to think of it, after ya'got REAL good at that, then you could try the "running mag check".

best, randy

Comment

Working...
                              X