Piper Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post

The other guys give the Cubs a head-start?
    Well (chuckle), at that blistering cruise airspeed they sure should'a!

(Strange feeling hit me just now after writing that, I was confronted with a vision of Harry Alton wagging his finger in my fzce saying - "Now Randy, you stay out of this!")

best, randy (small gathering at BP today)

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
      My very first airplane ride was in the front seat of Uncle Art's J-3.
      Try'na recall, IIRC while single piloting one, we could sit up front in the Supercubs (PA-18s), in the J-3's we had to sit in back?

best,randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
        Try'na recall, IIRC while single piloting one, we could sit up front in the Supercubs (PA-18s), in the J-3's we had to sit in back?
        Hi Randy,
        Yup, pretty much with some exceptions. Some J-3s with additional tanks in the wings can but don’t have to be soloed from the front. PA-11s, and 18s front seat solo.

As you likely know most biplanes are set up rear seat solo. However I just came across an exception: the Fleet biplanes. Don’t know if all or just some. Something about tending tail heavy and spin recovery considerations.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton (a rear seat kind’a guy)

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          (a rear seat kind’a guy)
          Yeah, I always thought it kinda funky to fly from the rear and watch a ghostly pilot moving the controls -- and there was a turnbuckle just above your forehead that moved when you applied aileron.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
            . . . moving the controls -- and there was a turnbuckle just above your forehead that moved when you applied aileron.
            The beauty of the Cub in showing kids how airplane flight controls work. Ya move this stick to the right and it pulls this here cable. Cable goes around this here pulley and that pulley and pulls on that thing on the aileron. When you’re flying you can actually –feel- the air going past the airplane with your hands.

Looking forward to getting three grandchildren, of a friend, in the Cub in the next week or so. Gonna be more than a ride, Gonna be more like a –fun- first flying lesson.

Such an honor and privilege to be able to do this sort’a thing.

Regards,
            Tom Charlton
            "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

[QUOTE=Tom Charlton;n5155]Such an honor and privilege to be able to do this sort’a thing./QUOTE]

Concur!

best, randy

Comment

Hey Tom C. I have rejoined the low and slow crowd... (faster than a Cub though)
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	16869Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0942.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	16870
                Its a little rough, 30 years on the Stits fabric.... and paint... Hangared. 7EC C-90-12 electric start and battery (cheating)

Comment

Looks good in the sun, Jeff!

- Reams-

Comment

Looks like the one I did my first solo in, 1964, 'cept ours was yaller with a C-85.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post
                      Hey Tom C. I have rejoined the low and slow crowd... (faster than a Cub though)

Its a little rough, 30 years on the Stits fabric.... and paint... Hangared. 7EC C-90-12 electric start and battery (cheating)
                      Hi Jeff,
                      Most excellent. Not only faster’n a Cub but an improvement in many ways. Like: easier to get in/out of also<g>. Champ is tons of fun to fly. The C-90 heaps better than the original ole A-65. Load’er up n go. Feeel the air moving past the flight controls in your hands. Savor a playful afternoon of x-wind takeoffs & landings. So much fun<g>.

I love the nostalgia of my J-3 but a Champ is big fun too! Keep us informed of your adventures.

Regards,
                      Tom Charlton

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                        Hi Jeff,
                        Most excellent. Not only faster’n a Cub but an improvement in many ways. Like: easier to get in/out of also<g>. Champ is tons of fun to fly. The C-90 heaps better than the original ole A-65. Load’er up n go. Feeel the air moving past the flight controls in your hands. Savor a playful afternoon of x-wind takeoffs & landings. So much fun<g>.

I love the nostalgia of my J-3 but a Champ is big fun too! Keep us informed of your adventures.

Regards,
                        Tom Charlton
                        Tom,

Did you ever fly an O-1?
                        I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                        48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Bill, I have a good friend who was in the 219th Aviation company "Headhunters" 0-1 pilot, back where you used to .....

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
                            Tom,
                            Did you ever fly an O-1?
                            Hi Bill,
                            Da “Bird Dawg”! Nope. But I did use’ta fly a Cessna 170 . . . Same tail feathers<g>. Would love to fly a Bird Dog round the patch.

Also, flew a civilian O-2 quite a bit, Cessna 337, Sky . . . er, ah . . . Mixmaster. T’was specially modified for the aerial mapping that was a big part of my life.

Would -not- love to have been assigned either in the RVN<ng>.

Regards,
                            Tom Charlton

Comment

“Would -not- love to have been assigned either in the RVN<ng>.”

Remembering “Rake 22” - John Wiley
                              Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                              ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Working...
                              X