Basic Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Economy

It seems something has changed since my last trip in May. There's now a "Basic Economy" class. I didn't know they could go lower than "Economy".
    • Seats assigned at check in
    • Not eligible for upgrades
    • Not eligible for miles (or only at a 50% rate)
    • No access to overhead bin (but on AA, first bag is free - a $30 value)
    • Last to board

Both AA and UA have versions of this.

They didn't go lower than cattle class. There is now "Premium Economy" or "Comfort Economy" with more legroom, and sometimes other perks, such as "TSA PRE" stamped on your boarding pass. I generally spring for that, being a "roomy" guy. I never heard of NO access to the overhead bins before. Usually, it's possible to reserve seats or use the overhead bins for fees.
    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Even Delta is getting into this "race to the bottom" game. They call it "Basic."

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
        [*]No access to overhead bin
        Access to the overhead bin is not restricted.

You are not allowed a carry-on bag; only the smaller personal item. There are no restrictions on where you can store your personal item.

BE boards in the last boarding group, however, so on full-ish flights there may not be any available overhead space when the BE passengers board.

Good deal if traveling light and not concerned about where you sit. Bad deal if you need to carry multiple bags or if it's important that you seat near someone else or in a specific type of seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
          Bad deal if you need to carry multiple bags or if it's important that you seat near someone else or in a specific type of seat.
          Good for selling those dreaded middle seats.

Comment

A way for the legacy airlines to compete on price (and actually perks) as the low cost airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
              No access to overhead bin (but on AA, first bag is free - a $30 value)
              Jerks. They still charged me. I'm going to have to figure out what's going on.

Comment

Working...
              X