4 Hour Tarmac Rule Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Hour Tarmac Rule Question

Let's say there's a delay on departure, with the aircraft loaded but remaining at the gate, door open, jetway attached. Could the 4 hour interval be reset if the passengers were, after a few hours, allowed to exit the aircraft to use the terminal loos and then clamber back on board after 15 -20 mins. I'm not asking if the logistics are something an airline would undertake, just the legal question about resetting the tarmac rule time period in this scenario.

I'm no expert, but I don't think the 4 hour rule starts until the aircraft is pushed back.
    Last edited by Bruce Gorrell; 10-13-2018, 19:09. Reason: DYAC

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post
      I'm no expert, but I don't think the 4 hour rule starts until the aircraft is pushed back.
      Thanks,Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
        Let's say
        Scott, had it happen to me exactly that way once! Only problem is - jsut cannot seem to recall now much about the details re what'd happend or was said. This coming Tuesday morning is our twice monthly retired Duck's breaakfast and I'll ask if anyone there knows/recalls.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
          Scott, had it happen to me exactly that way once! Only problem is - jsut cannot seem to recall now much about the details re what'd happend or was said. This coming Tuesday morning is our twice monthly retired Duck's breaakfast and I'll ask if anyone there knows/recalls.

best, randy
          Do let me know, Randy. Thanks.

Comment

It's a three-hour rule for domestic flights. Four-hours for international flights.

The timer doesn't start until the main cabin door is closed.

The timer is reset if the door is reopened and egress is offered. If egress is offered, the opportunity to egress must be mentioned in each PA announcement.

Comment

Do let me know, Randy. Thanks.
              Looking to me like Larry has the most current.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
                It's a three-hour rule for domestic flights. Four-hours for international flights.

The timer doesn't start until the main cabin door is closed.

The timer is reset if the door is reopened and egress is offered. If egress is offered, the opportunity to egress must be mentioned in each PA announcement.
                Thanks, Larry. Yes, the situation in the back of my mind was international.

Comment

I think many airlines would rather just cancel the flight than take the risk of a big fine. Often they use the excuse of weather -and perhaps do not have to worry about food and overnight expenses for the passengers? (Well, often it is weather related and perhaps not at that specific airport)..

Regards, Dux -perhaps BP's for a brief visit this Saturday but have to leave at 11:50.

Comment

Disappointing; no discussion of "tarmac".

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Loftus View Post
                      Disappointing; no discussion of "tarmac".
                      I wasn't disappointed at all.

Pretty soon we'll be able to have Avsig discussions by number, "47!" You know the drill.....

(Grouchy mode, ON)

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Loftus View Post
                        no discussion of "tarmac".
                        I read about them once, IIRC it was in "Renfro of the Royal Mounted Police"?

best, randy

Comment

I wasn't disappointed at all.

Pretty soon we'll be able to have Avsig discussions by number, "47!" You know the drill.....

(Grouchy mode, ON)
                          Was that the alumiputsch (sp?) vs. lift gnomes? Or Doug Kaye's bundt icing?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

I read about them once, IIRC it was in "Renfro of the Royal Mounted Police"?

best, randy
                            Haven't seen Renfrew, not sure if I should.

Comment

Taking Off From A Tarmac Treadmill, Turning Downwind Into The Dead Engine

There, that covers it. Now we can move on to a memorable checkride.
                              Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Working...
                              X