Clear All

• B-17 Waist Gunner

Fun to watch. And, I learned something.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer [HPN/NY] View Post
      Fun to watch. And, I learned something.
      Never know when you're gonna need that new skill. <g>

Comment

I wonder why no one came up with a mechanical system to offset the sights to make it easier. The angle from the gun to the plane (both fore and aft and up and down) is measurable.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
          I wonder why no one came up with a mechanical system to offset the sights to make it easier. The angle from the gun to the plane (both fore and aft and up and down) is measurable.
          I was wondering the same thing. It seems like a simple geared arrangement would help. It may not be perfect, but it would be a good start.

Comment

A sort-of tracking sight would have been more weight, more moving parts, more maintenance, and something else to get jammed by incoming metal bits. Same way the dirt-simple, loose toleranced AK-47 outperformed the too-tightly crafted original M-16.
            Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
              A sort-of tracking sight would have been more weight, more moving parts, more maintenance, and something else to get jammed by incoming metal bits. Same way the dirt-simple, loose toleranced AK-47 outperformed the too-tightly crafted original M-16.
              Maybe. I'm thinking about a simple cam operated sight that moves as the gun is pivoted. A stationary one can remain as backup. I'd think there would be a significant increase in kills that would justify a minor addition to an already complex airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like a simple geared arrangement would help. It may not be perfect, but it would be a good start.
                They did. In the A-26 and B-29 the gunners did have lead-computing gunsights, remotely controlling the turrets. This shows why Gunnery School was long and arduous!

Best,
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by A. Niemyer View Post

and B-29 the gunners did have lead-computing gunsights
                  29s had CFC (central fire control), remote operator.

best, randy

Comment

We only had 11Bs and M-60s for our waist (door) gunners on our slicks. If it were not for those teenagers standing up and going toe to toe with Charlie we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bill
                    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                    48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

This is a poem by a Marine talking about the door gunners. These kids were incredibly brave and never complained. I sat on an armored seat, all they had was a "60" to protect them.

Bill
                      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Working...
                      X