ELT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELT's

Looking for a new generation elt with gps ability. Any recommendations?

Dick -- If you'll send me your email address (PM is fine), I'll send you a copy of a relatively recent Aviation Consumer article on ELTs which should be helpful.

Because so often ELTs don't activate properly, and because the 406 MHz gets rescuers PDC (pretty darn close) to the location without GPS lat/lon data being encoded into the signal, some experts recommend that there's no great value to adding GPS position to a 406 MHz unit and instead it's better to carry a PLB in addition to the ELT.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
      Dick -- If you'll send me your email address (PM is fine), I'll send you a copy of a relatively recent Aviation Consumer article on ELTs which should be helpful.

Because so often ELTs don't activate properly, and because the 406 MHz gets rescuers PDC (pretty darn close) to the location without GPS lat/lon data being encoded into the signal, some experts recommend that there's no great value to adding GPS position to a 406 MHz unit and instead it's better to carry a PLB in addition to the ELT.
      Dick -- As I'll be off the grid for a week or so, here's the URL that you or someone else on your behalf who is an AvCon subscriber can access (Feb 2016 issue): http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issu...st_6881-1.html

Comment

Working...
      X