Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drone Films Airliner Landing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ane-Vegas.html

In case the feds were wondering who the drone operator was, he helpfully put his video on the web ...

Looks like he learned a little about wake turbulence...

Comment

It has astonished me that aviation organizations have embraced the proliferation of drones. There can be no doubt that it is only a matter of time before a drone smashes through the windshield of an airplane, incapacitating the pilot and causing a crash. Commercial drone operators are likely responsible people, but there are any number of twelve-year-old boys, and whoever took this video, who either don't know or don't pay any attention to FAA's restrictions and pretty much fly them wherever they want to.

A year ago there were 670,000 drones registered with FAA. I've got to think that number is well over a million now. FAA doesn't begin to have the resources to monitor their compliance with the rules.

Yeah, drones are pretty cool. I sure would have loved one when I was a kid. But in addition to the real threat that they will kill people in airplanes, they pose an enormous threat to people's privacy. I just can't fathom how the country has rolled over and allowed them to proliferate with, in reality, no enforceable control over how or where they are used.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Leonard View Post
        and pretty much fly them wherever they want to.
        And people wonder why I favor the 12 gauge solution!

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Leonard View Post
          I just can't fathom how the country has rolled over and allowed them to proliferate with, in reality, no enforceable control over how or where they are used.
          See, that would be a job-killing regulation...

Comment

Yea, accident investigation will be a growth industry, also....<no grin>

- Reams -

Comment

I'm with Randy on the proper solution for drones invading my personal space, or soundscape...

- Reams -

Comment

Originally posted by Reams Goodloe View Post
                I'm with Randy on the proper solution for drones
                Hi Reams,

I am amazed at and embrace the technology and the undeniably beneficial things being done with it. This genie is out of the bottle.
                Don’t know the solution for keeping this technology of the hands of the irresponsible. Likely will be some rules/laws written in blood eventually<ng>.

Regards,
                Tom Charlton
                "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Tom -

I umpire some high school baseball games at a field in Des Moines, Wa, which is very near, and below the elevation of runway 16R/34L at KSEA. Occasionally, I see a drone operator working from a back field, zooming his craft over and around the containment pond on the north end of the runway, underneath the path for incoming aircraft - or at least very close to it... But, they have been gone by the time my game has ended. I have not seen anything really conflicting in terms of proximity to incoming craft, but I wonder how long it will be till that happens, or a collision occurs. I'm too busy umpiring a game to pay much attention other than between innings... I guess they were not using a DJI machine with software location lock...

- Reams -

Comment

Working...
                  X