• Show
Clear All

• LLoyd DC-6B

Click image for larger version

Name:	dc-6b.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	5618

A former AAL DC-6 on lease from AAL and later purchased by Lloyd Aero.
    Most likely a tail number in the log book of Captain Sohn.
    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
    former AAL DC-6
    Chuckle, yup, Charlie Papa Siete Quarenta (por favor, forgive my rapidly diminishing Espanol, anyhow CP-740). IIRC, that's the one that Teddy Scott stuck his snoot into Mt. Illimani with in the late 60s. We had CP-698, CP-713 and CP-740 (all three ex-AAL's) at LAB. (LAB = Lloyd Aereo Boliviano "Ruta de Condores"

besty, randy

Comment

No, CP-740 was withdrawn from use by the Bolivian Air Force and stored at La Paz.
      CP-698 crashed into a mountain 176 km SE of La Paz...
      No record of CP-713... but CP-715 was withdrawn from use and stored at La Paz in 1980.
      - Reams-

Comment

Originally posted by Reams Goodloe View Post
        No, CP-740 was withdrawn from use by the Bolivian Air Force and stored at La Paz. CP-698 crashed into a mountain 176 km SE of La Paz...No record of CP-713... but CP-715 was withdrawn from use and stored at La Paz in 1980.
        Yup, looks'ta me like my Espanol isn't the only thing I'm losing track of, it was indeed Seis Nueive Ocho that Teddy ran into Ilimani. And also you're right about 740, IIRC I did hear that Lloyd Aereo Boliviano had given it to the Bolivian AF. And again, been a long time but I think now that you mention it, it was Charlie Papa Siete Quince.

Those 3 were the ones's that I flew during that my year down there at Cochabamba, LAB had their first ex-American Air Lines DC-6B run into a mountain on a flight from Arica to LaPaz before I got down there. IIRC a big mystery about that one, lotta high value cargo or something, I forget now, involved the US government and our ambassador.

Guess that I kinda forget some things now, dimly recall also once the amb. had taken me over to San Borjha or somewhere over there to ride back and the rev's put dynamite in the baggage compartment on boatd, fortunately I missed that flight when it came back and they blew the tail off. And Tarija, involved Che Guevera.

Good ole days - NOT.

best, randy

Comment

Working...
        X