Dubner can't be stopped! TapSIG is released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
    Can you make it work on WIN2000? (G,D,R).
    Will it run on a cuneiform-based platform?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
      I am truly sorry about your mellow. You have done great things here.

My wife and I remain on XP because it is the last Windows version which supports full-screen command line mode. We have some much-loved games which need that platform. For docx and xlsx, we use Libre Office.
      Nothing wrong with that, but you might want to air-gap that computer and get another one for going online.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
        Nothing wrong with that, but you might want to air-gap that computer and get another one for going online.
        Exactly. At this point, there's any number of "browse by" malware that XP is likely susceptible to. If you don't want to replace the hardware, then consider making it dual-boot and using Linux. A browser is a browser, so if that's all that's needed, Linux will be fine.

Comment

Bob, You've been sent an invite to my cloud storage area. When you confirm, I will set up a share for you.
          Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Ray,

I think I owe you some postage and one trip to the post office.

It turns out that Microsoft still has Visual Studio 2008 (which uses the Visual C++ 9.0 compiler) available for download. I installed it on my Windows 7 machine, and spent a bunch of hours trying to use it to compile my TSCOM downloader. Somehow or other, that didn't work. Finally, I went to my Windows XP virtual machine, loaded VS2008 on it, and compiled the program there.

That worked for me. Slowly. ("There was a knock at the door. I opened it. There was nobody there, but on the step there was a snail. I picked up the snail, and tossed it onto the lawn. Two years later, there was another knock at the door. I opened it, and there was the same snail. The snail asked, 'What was that all about?'")

On my virtual machine, performance is pretty bad; it takes TapSIG a long time to process the messages.txt file. I haven't tried to sort out why. Give it a shot. http://www.dubner.com/tapsig

Comment

Just incidentally: Has anybody but Ray tried the goofy thing?

Comment

You've got me thinking. The printer. The printer would be a marvel to behold. I keep thinking about a light on the panel lighting up to inform me that the hopper is low on mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dubner View Post
                  You've got me thinking. The printer. The printer would be a marvel to behold. I keep thinking about a light on the panel lighting up to inform me that the hopper is low on mud.
                  You'd have to rewire your house to bring 220v service to your office, as the printer would need to pull a *lot* of power in order to sufficiently dry the tablets.

As for a source of clay, there were a lot of mines in your area for the 19th Century brickworks.

Now I'm thinking of all of the criminologists who would have to develop expertise in clay analysis in order to determine where documents may have originated...
                  Last edited by Stephanie Belser; 04-02-2018, 07:10.

Comment

Just incidentally: Has anybody but Ray tried the goofy thing?
                    Not I. I'm on enough other web-based forums. Sig-III isn't much different from any of them.

I haven't checked to see if Sig-III is compatible with Tapatalk (phone app).

Comment

As for a source of clay, there were a lot of mines in your area for the 19th Century brickworks.
                      A-yup. Building here was a challenge, I'm told. The houses on my street have wells and septic systems, and significant effort had to be expended on the leach fields because the percolation time in our very clay-rich soil is measured -- quite literally -- in weeks per inch, rather than minutes per inch. A neighbor wants to sell an empty lot, and dug a hole for a test. Filled it with water. The water was still there days later.

Thirty years ago the town was more easy-going about letting people dig out and build up leach fields and filling them with something more permeable. Apparently these days the town isn't so accommodating, and want to see some real permeability even before remediation efforts are made. So, we apparently are not going to be seeing any neighbors with new construction any time soon.

My daughter insists that our area was a clay mining area, because the trees in the surrounding woods are all youngish and about the same age, having grown since the mines were abandoned. I don't agree, not without more research.

Comment

Not I. I'm on enough other web-based forums. Sig-III isn't much different from any of them.

Isn't SIG III V-Bulletin? If so, V-Bulletin is Tapatalk compatible.

I don't do forums on my phone. On my tablet, when I use that, I use a browser.

Comment

Just downloaded now. No worries about postage or PO trip; it's an excellent investment from my POV, even if it wasn't necessary. I'll report back after some new messages and replies have had a chance to accumulate, but no later than this time tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

Isn't SIG III V-Bulletin? If so, V-Bulletin is Tapatalk compatible.
                            I just searched; the only thing that came up was the Avsig Wingnut Forum.

(Not its official name, mind you.)

Comment

A-yup. Building here was a challenge, I'm told. The houses on my street have wells and septic systems, and significant effort had to be expended on the leach fields because the percolation time in our very clay-rich soil is measured -- quite literally -- in weeks per inch, rather than minutes per inch. A neighbor wants to sell an empty lot, and dug a hole for a test. Filled it with water. The water was still there days later.

Thirty years ago the town was more easy-going about letting people dig out and build up leach fields and filling them with something more permeable. Apparently these days the town isn't so accommodating, and want to see some real permeability even before remediation efforts are made. So, we apparently are not going to be seeing any neighbors with new construction any time soon.
                              Could be worse. When I was practicing there, the Town of Kent was unofficially known as the "Town of Can't"; the town building inspector's nickname was "Dr. No", at least, by those in the trade.

Comment

Initial report on the XP version.

The only Unicode issue was trivial -- the display of "Kármán" in the tscom window.

The program downloaded the entire forum as new. I assume that's normal startup behavior.

I've attached a screenshot so you can spot anything which should not be that I don't know about.

"Show in Forum" kicks off the web browser, but I must log in manually, despite credentials being stored in the .ini file in plain text. (No big deal about the credentials, they are unique to Avsig.) I tried to game the system by logging in, then clicking "Show in Forum". The browser opened a new tab in which I was not logged on, AND I got logged out in the original tab.

Later, there will be one or more truly new messages. I'll report back then.

Comment

Working...
                                X