quicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quicken

I am having trouble with quicken 2007 and thinking about updating: Two questions, is the new quicken compatible with W7? And what are the alternatives to Quicken?
    TIA
    Dick

The best thing is, if you upgrade, all your data will transfer and you can keep on going.

I am running Quicken, either 2016 or 2017 (I can check later), on Windows 7.

I have used Quicken since the 80s, and still like it. I do not use the feature to automatically connect to my bank and credit card accounts to transfer information. I do that manually. I do use the smart phone app, to enter transactions when I do them.

Comment

Originally posted by dick merrill View Post
      I am having trouble with quicken 2007 and thinking about updating: Two questions, is the new quicken compatible with W7? And what are the alternatives to Quicken?
      TIA
      Dick
      Dick -- Like Terry, I've been using Quicken since the '80s. Deakin got me started, and I was printing checks and then switched to doing electronic payments through Quicken.

I think it's gone downhill in the last 8-10 years. First, it used to be that the banks tolerated Quicken bill paying electronically and indeed footed the bill for it. But, since they developed their own bill paying web sites, many now balk at the Quicken charges and have opted out. To use it now I have to pay about $10/month...and the only reason I do is that it's still better than the bank sites.

Second, it's not as stable as it used to be. I have perpetual problems with it, first in not downloading my data properly (hours spent on the phone trying to fix it, and it gets fixed, and then it goes down the tubes again). And then in messin' up the data....just before composing this message I updated the program for fixes and it somehow scrambled my data...so I had to recover from a previous backup.

If there were a viable alternative, which I've looked for, I'd use it. As it is, I muddle through with Quicken but I am a dissatisfied user.

I'm on Win10 at the moment, but it sucked on Win8 as well.

Comment

I do my bill paying on the payee sites. I do not let Quicken have access to my accounts.

With this method, it is very stable. I have to occasionally log in again, but that is about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dick merrill View Post
          TIA
          Dick
          My bride uses 2011 with Win10-64 without any problems. She upgraded from an earlier version, not sure which one.

I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
          48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Windows 7 is still a valid, supported OS, so it's unlikely anyone is going to be incompatible with it just yet.

I don't remember which one I'm on. I'm one or two back from what they're currently pushing. It's not bad. I had a problem with a prior version in that it was rather insistent on "logging into my Intuit cloud account" which I was not happy about. It seems to have quit that behavior - perhaps as part of Intuit and Quicken going their separate ways.

Comment

I do use the Quicken Cloud, as that is the method that transfers transactions from my phone to my laptop.

But there is no banking info in Quicken for me. So if someone hacks it, they can see what I spend my money on, and a name for the account/card used, but no info that would allow them to hack the card or account.

Comment

Working...
              X