Anyone Have Experience with YouTube TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have Experience with YouTube TV?

For years we've said we'd ditch cable TV the day someone offers network television and the major sports networks and -0- ghost-hunting shows for less. It now looks like YouTube TV (and possibly Hulu) can accomplish this at roughly $80 a month less than what we're paying for cable, with the bonus of a much better cloud DVR setup.

Anybody using YouTube TV or similar? Any praise or gotchas?

This is the first I've heard of it. Given that I'm paying something like $80/month for "standard" analog TV, I'd really like to find something cheaper. YouTube TV looks great - but it's only in certain cities. My guess is that it's a "turf battle" thing with the local network affiliate. Until YouTube can work a deal with them, it can't offer it to you.

You can find out if it covers you by starting the sign up process. The second question (after choosing your account) is what zip code are you at. It's at that point you'll find out if you're covered or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
      This is the first I've heard of it. Given that I'm paying something like $80/month for "standard" analog TV, I'd really like to find something cheaper. YouTube TV looks great - but it's only in certain cities. My guess is that it's a "turf battle" thing with the local network affiliate. Until YouTube can work a deal with them, it can't offer it to you.

You can find out if it covers you by starting the sign up process. The second question (after choosing your account) is what zip code are you at. It's at that point you'll find out if you're covered or not.
      It's in our market and offers all of the sports, enough of the news, and very little of the garbage. Right now the only downside I see is a few extra seconds to connect to a channel ... and a likely loss of signal with any wifi interruptions. (And as our home router competes with the microwave for the airwaves at times, I foresee missing the stuff you popped pop corn for while you're popping the popcorn).

These streaming services are changing capability weekly, but right now it looks like YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, and Direct TV have similar packages available in CMH Land, with only YTTV and Hulu offering cloud DVR. I think we can cast either to Roku or Xbox via an iOS device, with native support coming soon.

The turf war looks to be more Samsung Smart TV (Android favoring) vs. Roku Smart TV (Switzerland, but influenced by content providers) vs. Amazon Fire Stick (looking Sony Betamax-ish at present) now that I've had a look at who makes you jump through what hardware hoops.

Comment

Mike, is there a way you can run some CAT5 to the TV or DVD box? That way the food-nuker won't interfere.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
          Mike, is there a way you can run some CAT5 to the TV or DVD box? That way the food-nuker won't interfere.
          Hmm ... the issue is the router, so better cable there is an excellent idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
            the issue is the router, so better cable there is an excellent idea.
            ??? The usual problem is that WiFi and microwave ovens both operate in the 2.4GHz band. When it runs, it raises the noise floor of the WiFi signal. If it's affecting the router itself, something else is going on.

Comment

Regular YouTube has quite a bit of programming. With a little browsing, you may find enough programming to keep you entertained on a regular basis without bothering with what the networks offer.

Comment

For anyone interested, we tried this out for a week. We needed to install the app on our iPhones, where we could watch most programming, and we also cast the signal to a television via an X-box (which usually needs a reboot afterward to restore its gaming function).

The Upsides:

… All the major and some minor sports channels, AMC, BBC, two out of three of the major networks, and your choice of tailored left-wing or right-wing fake news stations. Not an infomercial or treasure hunting show to be found.

… Infinite cloud DVR with up to six separate accounts. “Recorded” shows scroll off after a few months depending on your market.

… Easy navigation and live programming thumbnails in the guide.

… If you have a Samsung smart TV or box, you’re good to go on the big screen. PCs running the Chrome browser, iOS, and Android devices, along with the X-box gaming system are supported.

The Downsides:

… No Roku support yet (promised in the coming months)

… On a PC can only watch using a Chrome browser (Tried to use MS Edge’s ability to cast web interaction to a Smart TV (a YouTube TV page) to get around the lack of Roku support … nope).

… Some channels/events cannot be watched on your phone. (Ran into this with an NFL playoff game last weekend – seems to be a Verizon exclusion. Others have reported some events like awards shows being blacked out on phones).

… Some sports have a vague satellite-y look to them and all broadcasts have the odd freeze here and there.

… You can fast-forward past commercials on the DVR, but chances are you won’t after you experience a few epic buffering freezes.

Overall, I could still see getting rid of cable and $85 month in extra fees for this once there is Roku support, in our case. For now we’ll retire it at the end of the trial period.

Comment

CAT 5 cable will stop the interference problem, as Scott said, as it is a shared band issue.

The other way to help, is to go to 5 GHz. Most routers and devices these days support this. You just have to set up the router and then point each device to the 5GHz network, rather than the 2.4 GHz one.

The other thing is, get a new microwave. If yours is leaking that much signal, it may be cooking you also.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                    CAT 5 cable will stop the interference problem, as Scott said, as it is a shared band issue.

The other way to help, is to go to 5 GHz. Most routers and devices these days support this. You just have to set up the router and then point each device to the 5GHz network, rather than the 2.4 GHz one.

The other thing is, get a new microwave. If yours is leaking that much signal, it may be cooking you also.
                    We fixed the interference issue with the cable Scott suggested -- also told the the 2.part of the router to report a little higher up in the band. Our 5 GHz broadcast is very good for about 20 feet ... then gets spotty.

As for the microwave, if anyone would like to chime in with a model that doesn't interfere with their 2.4, I'm all (cooked) ears. (Our leaker is a Panasonic 651W).

Comment

My Panasonic 1100 watt does not cause any issues with wifi.

Hmm, my 5 GHZ goes much further than that.

Comment

Working...
                      X