Rip tapcis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Dubner View Post
    The smart move is to acknowledge that King Canuck was right: There will be other costs to me if I continue to struggle against the tide.
    I think that pretty much sums it up. There's any number of examples in history of superior systems failing to get traction. As wasteful as the HTML forum is, it's the common way of doing things.

One thing you can do: Down in the bottom left corner, you can select the color scheme for the forum. (I think mine is the default "AVSIG VFR Blue".) Another selection might make the layout a little less painful. I think what that selector box does is change the HTML CSS file that's used. If you could inject your own CSS somehow, that might make things a little more tolerable. At least that's a level of effort that's far more reasonable than tilting at windmills.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
      Canute...;-)
      You speak the sooth.

Canada doesn't have a king.
      Last edited by Robert Dubner; 01-07-2018, 16:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

Bob -- This morning, using the process that Russell outlined the other day, I was on Avsig for 3 mins. total time to read the messages since sometime last evening. And write a response or two. For me, anyway, that's plenty quick. Yes, TapCIS could have reduced it by a minute I guess but being a retired guy I'm not so closely scheduled any more.
        Today, I was able to determine what was new, read it, and write this reply all in less than 3 minutes.

Comment

Another one here for the camp of, try it, it works well.

You look at the page, any section with new posts is highlighted. Click on them, IF you want to read things in the section.

Once in a section, threads with new posts are at the top and highlighted. Click the icon, go to the first new post, read through the new posts, back arrow, pick a new thread.

Done a section, go back and pick another section. Unless you take some time writing, you can get in and out in a few minutes. Yes, the background overhead is huge, but in the current world of high speed connections, lots of RAM, CPU speed, who cares?

My only complaint about this default behavior of forums, is that clicking on the thread title should take you to the first new post, not the icon. As most times, most people want the first new post, and that should be the bigger target.

Comment

Maybe I'm too hidebound.
            Chuckle, I've got a really good chum down in Ft. Worth, G- Hyde. You can prolly easily guess what I use for his nickname!

best, randy

Comment

I really like the "new since last visit" panel. It makes browsing SIG-III very efficient.
              Last edited by Stephanie Belser; 01-08-2018, 21:18. Reason: Finger malf.

Comment

I knew a woman, once upon a long time ago. Got her set up with TapCIS. She never could figure it out. Constantly found herself going up dead ends, getting confused and frustrated. So I worked with her to install WinCIM. She took to it like a duck to water.

Go figure. Just goes to show: Different strokes for different folks. Always true.

This alternative access thing I've given up on... I may give up on giving up on it. I simply can't *stand* the web access. It so obviously was designed and developed by people who spend all day poking around on the Web and think that I have nothing to do all day except poke around inside their application.

And I have other things to do.

I guess I'll see if I can come up with something minimal that serves my particular needs, which mainly is hard list of messages that I haven't seen before. I don't need to minimize connect time; I have no need to select threads, or flag them as permanently uninteresting, I don't need need clever navigation, I don't need to be able to skip threads or sections, I don't need to be able to do much of anything except quickly blip through messages. Emphasis on quickly.

Humana, humana. Because I really don't like the web interface for this. Never have. Still don't. It's the wrong tool for the job.
                PLEASE! Anything closer to Tap than this [CENSORED] will help save what little is left of my sanity.. I just can’t deal with the current software, which offends me even more than the prior incarnation. It took multiple tries to get this reply posted. I’ve no clue how many messages I’ve missed reading. The “new since” just doesn’t cut it for me.

If I get something that implements the basic Tap message handling (space bar, left & right arrow, reply) I’ll be overjoyed.

Comment

What Nancy said +1, even if read-only.
                  Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I pissed away a lot of money with Procomm Plus, before I got TapCIS. My manual cover says, "Version 6.0 for DOS". I won the program at AOPA Expo '91 in New Orleans, in the exhibit hall. Might have been a drawing Rick had at his booth, or some AVSIG-related business owner with a bunch of prizes -- I don't remember. I do remember that every AVSIG buddy of mine that was there already had it, so it was a good prize for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X