Weather Underground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Underground

I've been using WU for years. Starting a few days ago I've been unable to bring it up. I've not installed or updated any programs at this end. Anyone here know of problems with WU? I'm interested because snow is being mentioned for this area this week.

Ward,

I just went into Google and brought up the WU website and it worked for me.

Grace and Peace,
    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Thanks, Bill. Still does not finish loading here. Guess I'll have to look out the window to check the wx.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
        Thanks, Bill. Still does not finish loading here. Guess I'll have to look out the window to check the wx.
        There's always the standard advice - clear the cookies and browser cache. Details can be founding by doing a web search including the name of the browser you're using. |

Either that or trying a different browser.

Comment

Russell, my browser is Microsoft Edge because that's what came with the computer and I'm satisfied with it. I just pulled up google and then called Weather Underground. It came up fine. So I'll leave everything as is and call WU that way when I need it.

Comment

I understand there was a change of ownership for Weather Underground. I wonder if that factors into it.

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
              I understand there was a change of ownership for Weather Underground. I wonder if that factors into it.
              John -- It's some two-bit operation that bought the parent of Weather Underground in 2016.....No wonder it's now screwed up....Ward's probably never heard of 'em.

In 2015 " IBM ... officially announced an agreement to acquire The Weather Company's business-to-business, mobile and cloud-based web properties, including Weather Underground, WSI, weather.com, and also the Weather Company brand. Meanwhile, the television service (The Weather Channel) remains a separate entity, later sold to Entertainment Studios in 2018. The deal was finalized on January 29, 2016."

Comment

Scott, IBM bought a lot of companies -- and proceeded to run them into the ground. Lotus 1-2-3, in the mid-1980s and wildly successful as the first real spreadsheet for the PC, is an example. Once IBM bought the company back then, its product disappeared and many of the programmers just did not fit into the IBM culture of the times. That scenario repeated itself many times since then. The most recent and by far the most costly, but in reverse, was IBM's chip manufacturing business. They gave it, plus they gave 2 Billion dollars, to a company a few years ago. Since then, the money evaporated and the company went broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
                  Scott, IBM bought a lot of companies -- and proceeded to run them into the ground. Lotus 1-2-3, in the mid-1980s and wildly successful as the first real spreadsheet for the PC, is an example. Once IBM bought the company back then, its product disappeared and many of the programmers just did not fit into the IBM culture of the times. That scenario repeated itself many times since then. The most recent and by far the most costly, but in reverse, was IBM's chip manufacturing business. They gave it, plus they gave 2 Billion dollars, to a company a few years ago. Since then, the money evaporated and the company went broke.
                  I shoulda indicated that my comment was tongue in cheek!.......WU was a great resource in the early days of web weather..

Comment

Then there’s the story of IBM needing a 16 bit OS and Microsoft using the existing Q DOS system :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                      Then there’s the story of IBM needing a 16 bit OS and Microsoft using the existing Q DOS system :-)
                      Great move by Bill. Even better was being allowed to sell MS-DOS to the public (IBM got PC-DOS). Without that, there would be no clone market.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

I shoulda indicated that my comment was tongue in cheek!.......WU was a great resource in the early days of web weather..
                        I still find it the best online weather.

Comment

Have you tried darksky.net? They have a app, but I like Arcus better. (It pulls from darsky.) It claims "hyperlocal weather". Most sites gives you weather for your general area. The Arcus app tells you wants going to happen where you are.

Comment

Working...
                          X