Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ships infected with ransomware

ZDNet: Ships infected with ransomware, USB malware, worms

A new-build dry bulk ship was delayed from sailing for several days because its ECDIS was infected by a virus. The ship was designed for paperless navigation and was not carrying paper charts. The failure of the ECDIS appeared to be a technical disruption and was not recognized as a cyber issue by the ship's master and officers. A producer technician was required to visit the ship and, after spending a significant time in troubleshooting, discovered that both ECDIS networks were infected with a virus. The virus was quarantined and the ECDIS computers were restored. The source and means of infection in this case are unknown. The delay in sailing and costs in repairs totaled in the hundreds of thousands of dollars (US)
    A ship with an integrated navigation bridge suffered a failure of nearly all navigation systems at sea, in a high traffic area and reduced visibility. The ship had to navigate by one radar and backup paper charts for two days before arriving in port for repairs. The cause of the failure of all ECDIS computers was determined to be attributed to the outdated operating systems.
    So, what's your backup for a iPad failure? Or dual-iPad failure for you Part 121/135 types?

Not part 121/135, but two I-pads and charts on my I-Phone. In the King Air, we have dual WAAS Garmins and had the same in the Citation II I flew.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
      but two I-pads and charts on my I-Phone.
      The question becomes, how independent are they? If the root problem is something like a defective update, all 3 could fail at once. Likewise, if it was malware disguised as a legitimate app - it might be loaded on all three devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
        So, what's your backup for a iPad failure? Or dual-iPad failure for you Part 121/135 types?
        Two iPads plus one ship's set of paper Jepps.

Comment

Yes, the iPads and phone all use FLTPLAN for charts: the Garmins use Jeppesen.

Comment

Working...
          X