Is this it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this it?

So I'm seeing everything in a fixed pitch Courier font, and I cannot seem to find the lovely threaded view. Really? -meh

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
    So I'm seeing everything in a fixed pitch Courier font, and I cannot seem to find the lovely threaded view. Really? -meh
    FYI I wasted a whole afternoon custom fixed-pitching the header-level fonts. (It's supposed to be cool before cool was cool). And the threaded view is axed in modern software in favor of quotebacks like above. I'm no fan, but no other vendor came close to approaching the old CIS thread view. Even our UBB threaded software was viewed in flat mode by 99-percent of dentists surveyed.

(I have decided that every time somebody complains about this new place I'm going to distract them with this horse race. Place your bets, folks: Big One or Little One?)

Comment

"Modern" discussion software is specifically designed to thwart extended conversations. If that's your wish I fear your wish is going to be granted. I hope not though.

P.S. Your horse face is a couple of broken images for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
        "Modern" discussion software is specifically designed to thwart extended conversations. If that's your wish I fear your wish is going to be granted. I hope not though.

P.S. Your horse face is a couple of broken images for me.
        Enough about my horse face, already. It's a horse race. And until we can get both horses in the race properly displayed on your screen and get it to show you races instead of faces, I don't suppose we have any business trying an extended conversation. (It would be a nightmare ... which could of course be further misinterpreted as either of those horses in the light of night [they're running too fast for me to determine if they're mares, but that's for some other extended internet discussion]).

I think you missed all the forum crashes we had with our UBB installation over the summer. The forum database tech in that software is knocking on 20 years old and is subject to memory and security incursions that are getting tougher to patch in modern server environments. That and non-existent anti-spam controls for registration are the primary reasons we're switching to vB. This forum software is in use all over the web, and the conversations are as extended or terse and as silly or brilliant as the participants care to make them.

You may recall that AVSIG was cranky about switching over to UBB back in 2004. No one was going to be able to tell which end was up and dogs and cats were going to be living together. But 13 years later, up is still up ... and the dogs and cats are all over on Facebook. This is AVSIG, so I really don't expect the conversations to be anything less than brilliant, even those that for the sake of intellectual economy must consist solely of "m" ...

Comment

• Tom Tyson
          Tom Tyson commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure would be nice is the "Avsig" page format had a logo and all that other web site type stuff. (not too crazy about courier/fixed pitch fonts, and I do like black & white text for posts. Just sayin' . . . )
          Last edited by Tom Tyson; 12-05-2017, 09:18. Reason: Grammar/spelling Nazi made me edit it.

• Mike Overly
          Mike Overly commented
          Editing a comment
          The Courier font is just used for the forum descriptions/comments, but we can get rid of it in a heartbeat if it proves to be a deal breaker. As for the logo ... there is a logo (same one we have on II, which should load on all the pages). Content-wise there are many webby things we can and will do here, but the initial feedback on this site was "too much foo foo" -- which is why the presentation is pared back now. Probably good to keep it that way for awhile while folks learn to navigate.

One of your images is working now. It's hilarious. :-)

Thanks on the inarguable reasons for switching. And I should mention I actually like your selection of fixed pitch heading fonts now that I know it was intentional.

Now as you know I dropped out of Avsig for 13 years and only recently came up to speed on the UBB interface. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that threaded view, which made Avsig almost as usable as CIS was, IMHO. So for me this switch is Deja vu all over again. So be it. I don't intend to be a nattering nabob of negativism; knowing just some of the players here, I'm sure things will work out fine.

I will have to say though that I don't put much stock in something being modern or widely used. That gives us touch interfaces and computers with inaccessible file systems, and Facebook, which is modern and used by over a billion of us, but purposely thwarts extended conversations, and also keeps trying to hook me up with senior women. -meh

Comment

Working...
        X