About Those Blank Posts ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Those Blank Posts ...

FYI, the blank “new post” notifications in the forum activity summary are showing up when members upload media to their personal profile galleries. We’re tinkering with the search set that displays new activity to quash these, but in the meantime, all replies to the blank posts will still show up as new activity … and also as blank posts.

To avoid all the drama you can ignore the new activity bar for now and just go to the “Recent Posts” link in the navigation bar, where we are featuring good old-fashioned posts with content.

Thanks, Mike. I was definitely hitting the "cone of confusion"!

Best,
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
      To avoid all the drama you can ignore the new activity bar for now and just go to the “Recent Posts” link in the navigation bar, where we are featuring good old-fashioned posts with content.
      Mike, I have no idea where the "Recent Posts" link is. I don't want to start a finger exercise. Each time I log on, I just look at "New since last visit" and click on an item. That has been serving me just fine since changing to this new forum many months ago. Whoever programmed the change to publish a new title without text should go back to kindergarten.

When they change the forum software, don't they give it a basic test? When a new function is added to existing code, or when correcting a bug, introducing a new bug should always be suspected . . . and tested for. That's why smart software owners resist changes once a product is running smoothly.

Comment

Hi Ward -- Recent Posts is right at the top, see the red circle on the image below

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
          When they change the forum software, don't they give it a basic test?
          I suspect this was a customization added by popular demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
            I suspect this was a customization added by popular demand.
            Doesn't matter, Russell, why they changed the software. Whenever you make a change, you always test to insure the old functions still work as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post

Doesn't matter, Russell, why they changed the software. Whenever you make a change, you always test to insure the old functions still work as usual.
              I just said goodbye to an online service provider I had used for nearly two years. I sent them a bug report eighteen months ago regarding nuisance, but not fatal, behavior. A senior guy there agreed that should not be happening. They recently :"enhanced [my] experience" (I HATE that phrase!) such that the nuisance became fatal. At least one customer gone.
              Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Ward: There were no software changes. A member created a profile page gallery, and the existing search string that creates that "New Since Last" box snagged the action and displayed it. The robot has been sternly told off and reprogrammed, but if anyone would like to add some media to their profiles (aircraft, cats, least-favorite in-laws, etc.) individually or in named galleries/with/without text we will see what other things that box notices

Comment

Working...
                X