Back to the Future - VOR Radials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
    Real Traffic uses ADS-B, not sure what his source is. The only difference is about a 30 second delay from the actual aircraft.
    I wonder if they use Flight Aware or Plane Finder as a data source.

Comment

Well -many decades ago we would listen to the "A's" and the "N's. Then loran with the old P-5M's and P-2V's. I do remember that Lajes did have a VERYstrong radio beacon. Also celestial navigation, if you could see the stars or sun. Now much newer stuff and the inertial nav unis has made great progress from the old 1960's equipment in the USN and even on the first B-747, which had three units.

Regards, -nice sunny day in Minneapolis, not too hot or humid. Sigh, that will not last.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Duxbury View Post
        not too hot or humid. Sigh, that will not last.
        Chuckle, now THAT'S one thing that isn't gonna change!

best, randy

Comment

Randy -

>>Also, used to be two kinds of LFR stations, the old "loop" kind (poles with wires strung between them, would sway in the wind) and the more modern (chuckle) "Adcock" range (5 metal poles, orange and white).<<

From the "New Private Pilot" 6th Edition.... 1966....
          "Low Frequency Radio Range. ....
          ....The transmitting station is generally located near an airport (within 1 to 30 miles) and consists of a small powerhouse and four vertical towers spaced 600 feet apart in a square pattern. If the station has voice facilities, there is a fifth vertical tower in the middle of the square.
          The older LF/MF radio range is identified by the letters "ML" - meaning range, with loop radiators, and power less than 50 watts. the later type is designated "RA" - meaning range, Adcock, vertical radiators, power 150 watts or moer. Three other types of LF/MF radio ranges used in the federal airways system are: (1) "MRA" - range, Adcock, vertical radiators, power 50 or more but less than 150 watts; (2) "MRL" - range, loop radiators, power 50 ro more but less than 150 watts, and (3) "RL" - range, loop radiators, power 150 watts or more...

Now, are you in the "dit dah" or in the "dah - dit" quadrant?
          Or, are you in the cone of silence?

Reams-

Comment

Originally posted by Reams Goodloe View Post
            Or, are you in the cone of silence?
            Hi Reams,
            Yup, I too am fascinated with the technicalities of flying the range.
            Perhaps even more so thinking about what it must’a been like in the front office of a diesel three on a “dark and stormy night”. Scared witless descending down between the hills optimistically feeling your way for that runway. A dozen clueless, sick from turbulence, fares in the back.

Must’a been the ultimate video game long long before video games were even dreamed of. And when it said “You lose player one” . . . you really lose<ng>.

Regards,
            Tom Charlton (who needs to find, and read again, a copy of Ernest Gann’s book)
            "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Reams Goodloe View Post
              Chuckle, depends upon your angle of bank, chum!

(Yes, can affect it) - spent a l-o-n-g time teaching that stuff at REE.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                optimistically feeling your way for that runway
                Someone from out there can prolly tell us what the name of that radio station was, I forget now, the one west of Palm Springs and on the northside of those hills near the Banning fan marker while headed to Los Alamitos NAS? Guess that was meb'be the worst! Anyhow, good chums in B-25 in those hills west of Palm Springs - BAM!!!!!!!!!

And I remember checking Ernie out in the CAF's B-17, he was a GOOD stick!!

best,randy

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                  Hi Randy,
                  Nope, Great Bend.
                  Back about fifteen years ago was doing initial training on the Cessna 208 with Flight Safety in Wichita. Had a couple’a free days so drove the two hours northwest to Great Bend. Tried to imagine what it might’a been like back in the day. Nice memorial display at the entrance of the old airbase.

Regards,
                  Tom Charlton
                  Have you seen Lou Thole's book on old airbases? I think GB is in one of his books. I'll look when I get back to Tennessee, later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by dick merrill View Post
                    Have you seen Lou Thole's book on old airbases? I think GB is in one of his books. I'll look when I get back to Tennessee, later this week.
                    Hi Dick,

Wasn’t aware of author Thole. Google tells me he’d written several books on old airfields and such.

Ya I’d be interested in any old photos or writings regarding Great Bend Army Airbase. Especially any photos showing Link trainers. Might be a picture of my dad!

Regards,
                    Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post

My simulator has Real Traffic which takes live traffic and displays it as an aircraft on my sim. I did a recent trip from GCM (Cayman Islands) to DFW. I was about 3 minutes behind an AAL B738 and was able to follow him/her all the way to DFW on TCAS and visual. Real Traffic uses ADS-B, not sure what his source is. The only difference is about a 30 second delay from the actual aircraft.
                      This is a look at Real Traffic as I pass north of PASY on "590" going from NRT to ANC. These are all actual traffic at the time the screen shot was made. Click on the image to enlarge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PASY .jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.8 KB ID:	5337

Randy, I know you will find this hard to believe, it was day light and I didn't see PASY, it was cloudy.

Last edited by Bill Bridges; 07-11-2018, 21:42.
                      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Getting back to something close to what the thread was about (<g>), a heard on the air from today. It was Soooooo hard to keep my mouth shut and listen to the CF as it unfolded.

The aircraft in question was initially east of the HFD VOR. The callsign is ficticious.

ATC "Corporate Flight 123, NY is no longer accepting traffic, proceed direct to the HFD VOR, depart on the 270 degree radial and hold" (yes, that's the holding clearance, the sum total all of it!)

CFL 123 "proceed direct HFD, depart on the 270 degree radial and hold".

A few minutes later, as I watched the aircraft in question overfly HFD, and head west, it came on the radio again:

CFL 123 "Request 10 mile legs". (the genius came up with this of all questions to ask relating to that holding clearance....)

ATC: "CFL 123, 10 mile legs approved"

and then not long thereafter, as the aircraft looked like it was turning kinda back to the VOR, north of the 270 degree radial:

ATC: "CFL 123, what are you doing?"

CFL 123: "We're entering the hold". (oh my, I thought....this should be fun)

ATC: "CFL 123, well, nevermind, join the 180 degree radial to the HFD VOR and hold on the 090 Degree radial". (mind, you, at this point, the aircraft is northwest of the VOR)

CFL 123: "join the 180 degree radial, and hold on the 090 degree radial".

Mercifully, before much more stooging around by any of the participants, the situation was resolved when NY would take the traffic:

ATC: "CFL 123, NY will now take the traffic, proceed to New Haven, then direct CMK. You may have to hold later somewhere else."

Oh my goodness, I hope that crew won't have to hold ever again!

Comment

I just don't use the VOR much on my dual Garmins. Every once in awhile I put them on VLOC and dial in a VOR just to be sure I remember how. I do have indicator below my HSI this is on number two VOR. I do tune that for situational awareness, but can see how folks can let this skill fade. With so many VORs being deactivated, It's more difficult to navigate some places unless one checks NOTAM closely. They might be better off publishing the working ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X