Missed Approach on A Visual Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Approach on A Visual Approach

For example KDFW is running visual approaches to Rwy18R. Things get a little bogged up at the bottom and the Tower has the landing aircraft execute a missed approach. When flying a visual approach is there a published missed approach or does the tower controller have to assign a heading and altitude as part of the missed approach clearance?

Grace and Peace,
    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
    48th AHC 1971-72

If the tower and approach control don't have a pre-coordinated heading and altitude in an LOA or something, there will likely be a fast phone call between LC and the departure controller reporting the go-around and getting a heading and altitude to be issued to the pilot by the tower before the frequency change.

Comment

It can get pretty busy when they don't expect a go-around. Did that at Love field once, practice approach and they never asked intentions; assumed I would land. When I announced a go-around it was a real cluster and tower said they weren't expecting that and I should have announced it earlier.

Comment

Got sent on a go-around at ORD once. Came back around and landed "opposite" direction on another runway, never left the tower frequency. So that's another option.

Comment

That one doesn't hapen often at major airports, but it can. I did an incident at EWR once when they had to issue a go-around to a 737, but instead of sending him back to Approach they told him to enter right downwind for 4R and dropped him in behind the next arrival. It was really good work, and saved the company and pax the delay of getting taken out for another approach.

Comment

Yes, if VFR conditions, one can cancel with approach and stay with tower. Addison has asked me that before. If one doesn't cancel IFR, Addison has to turn one back over to approach and it can burn some time and fuel.

Comment

Working...
            X