Falcon Heavy Launches February 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon Heavy Launches February 6

In which Elon Musk puts a car ... his car ... in space ...

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
    In which Elon Musk puts a car ... his car ... in space ...
    Hi Mike,

* Well, I know one space cadet who’ll be watching with rapt attention.

* Kind’a whishing I still had my townhouse on the beach over in Cape Canaveral.

* Ha, Elon lobbing his red roadster past Mars is so over-the-top audacious. I love it.

* Still amazed every time I watch them land one of the first stage boosters. Now to watch three land at the same time . . . wow.

Regards,
    Tom Charlton
    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
      * Still amazed every time I watch them land one of the first stage boosters. Now to watch three land at the same time . . . wow.
      Ah, the East German judge will only award them a 4.5.....

Comment

What's the ETD?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
          What's the ETD?
          Hi Scott,

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Feb. 6Falcon Heavy • Demo Flight
          Launch window: 1830-2130 GMT (1:30-4:30 p.m. EST)
          Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
          A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch on its first demonstration flight. The heavy-lift rocket is formed of three Falcon 9 rocket cores strapped together with 27 Merlin 1D engines firing at liftoff. The first Falcon Heavy rocket will attempt to place a Tesla Roadster on an Earth escape trajectory into a heliocentric orbit. Delayed from 3rd Quarter of 2015 and April, September and December 2016. Delayed from 1st Quarter 2017, 2nd Quarter 2017 and 3rd Quarter 2017. Delayed from November and December 2017. Delayed from January. [Jan. 28]

Regards,
          Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Thanks, Tom.

Comment

OK, is the roadster set up to get a system recharge from solar power at its perihelion approach and departure ?<g>
              You know, so the electronics will be ready for the aliens to work when they tow it to their airlock hanger on the moon or the red planet? Will it be leaving with a full battery charge ???

Whatever... a sure sign that the BOD of that company is under complete control of the founder...<g>

It is gonna make a great but puzzling artifact for some intelligent life form someday some where......

- Reams-
              Last edited by Reams Goodloe; 01-30-2018, 00:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Reams Goodloe View Post
                It is gonna make a great but puzzling artifact for some intelligent life form someday some where......
                I'll bet some sci-fi writer are working on it right now. We can start with the idea that such a thing only makes sense when you have roads - something that one only finds on planets. So, what's it doing in space? And why such a big cargo area?

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                  I'll bet some sci-fi writer are working on it right now . . . So, what's it doing in space? And why such a big cargo area?
                  Hi Russell,
                  * We know Elon is a big Sci-Fi fan.
                  * The payload fairing, “cargo area” is jettisoned early in the launch sequence.

Wonder if the roadster will be released from its attachment fixture? I can just see it slowly tumbling, till the end of time, in its orbit around the sun. Out – freaking - rageous!

Regards,
                  Tom Charlton (whos working on his geek snort)

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                    I'll bet some sci-fi writer are working on it right now.
                    If I was to write this, I'd write it as aliens managing to find a human and ask questions. One of their theories might be that the car came from a planet with low gravity and in cresting a hill it reached escape velocity.

Of course, the whole idea of building something simple and then building an elaborate environment to run it on instead of using a different all-terrain technology might be baffling as well.

Comment

Perhaps, in the Delta Quadrant...

https://youtu.be/rD39p7cVS9g

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
                        Perhaps, in the Delta Quadrant...

https://youtu.be/rD39p7cVS9g
                        Nice find Larry! And it's red also!

Regards,
                        Tom Charlton

Comment

Nice find Larry! And it's red also!
                          It's a descent episode. Season 2, Episode 1, of Star Trek: Voyager -- The 37's. Suggests solutions to a few 20th Century mysteries.

Comment

Wonder if the roadster will be released from its attachment fixture? I can just see it slowly tumbling, till the end of time, in its orbit around the sun. Out – freaking - rageous!
                            Regards,
                            Tom Charlton (whos working on his geek snort)
                            Elon has released a new “vi-day-o” as Randy’s buddy down Texas way likes to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk338VXcb24

Audacious!

Regards,
                            Tom Charlton (whos –still- perfecting his geek laugh/snort)

Comment

Tom -- Is his plan really to recover all 3 boosters, including 2 back to the Cape?

Comment

Working...
                              X