What the Hell is the "Karman Line"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Hell is the "Karman Line"?

Didn't they stop running when the 707/DC-8 made ocean liners obsolete?

Inquiring minds.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1044.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	469

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
      Didn't they stop running when the 707/DC-8 made ocean liners obsolete?
      Inquiring minds.....
      Hi Stephanie

As per Theodore von Kármán: line of demarcation between upper Earth atmosphere and outer space. About 60 miles ASL.
      Must be a section here on Avsig just for us Space Kadets. I’m cool with that.

Regards,
      Tom Charlton
      "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

That's the line that Burt Rutan spent $20MM of Paul Allen's dollars to cross so he could win the $10MM Ansari X-Prize. (N328KF hangs in the Milestones of Flight Hall at the National Air and Space Building.)

Comment

Hell. I thought it was a tricked-out VW.

Comment

No, that's "Karmann", not "Karman".

Comment

The Karman line is the point at which the atmosphere becomes too thin to support aeronautical flight, since flying at that altitude would require the vehicle to be traveling faster than orbital velocity, in order to obtain enough lift to support itself.... All according to Theodore von Karman's calcs....

It is also interesting in space law, since it is the level that Andrew Haley (GC of Aerojet, when founded, and a key founder in the "space law" area, as well as the IAF) thought should be the place where below that level, space belongs to the country below, and above that level, it would be free space that anyone could travel....

- Reams

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
                No, that's "Karmann", not "Karman".
                Ah shoot! And here I'd always just thought that it had something to do with the helicopter. But meb'be that was a Kahman - or something like that!

best, randy
                Last edited by Randy Sohn; 03-15-2018, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

Ah shoot! And here I'd always just thought that it had something to do with the helicopter. But meb'be that was a Kahman - or something like that!

best, randy
                  No, that one was Kamen.

Comment

Working...
                  X