By Jove . . . I believe that’s a rocket lift’n off sir!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By Jove . . . I believe that’s a rocket lift’n off sir!

Being the Florida Space Kadet that I am, I’ve seen and heard a bunch of Rockets head for space.

What I find surprising is, I’m pretty sure I can hear a large rocket lift off all the way across the state of Florida if it’s really, really quiet like it typically is for an oh-dark-thirty launch.

Over the last lot’a years I’ve lived in several places across central Florida: Cape Canaveral, St. Cloud, Winter Haven. Now, about 25 mi south of Tampa, I’m 133 mi. SW of the launch pad at Kennedy Space Center. Previously I thought maybe I was hearing a low rumble after several recent launches.

If sea level speed of sound is 761 mph
    133mi. / 761mph = 10 min 30 sec.

So during this morning’s 1:18 a.m. launch
    https://www.space.com/41395-spacex-l...s-landing.html

I started listening outside at about T+10 min. and at about T+12 min I did hear a low rolling rumble.<g>

Regards,
    Tom Charlton (who stayed up too late for a geezer but is easily amused)

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

In the Mercury days, there was a dog in Cocoa Beach who had a reputation for announcing launches a minute or so before they lit off...apparently he was hearing the fuel pumps wind up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
      In the Mercury days, there was a dog in Cocoa Beach who had a reputation for announcing launches a minute or so before they lit off...apparently he was hearing the fuel pumps wind up.
      Hi Ralph,

For the Apollo days:
      The turbo-pumps on the Saturn V's F-1 engines weighed 2,500 lb each and pumped 42,500 GPM.
      Loud as the pumps might have been, I figure if you were to have been close enough to hear one you’d have been forever deafened –or- dead from the acoustics of the F-1 engine.

Every detail of that whole program was so over-the-top, beyond-belief, amazing.

Still . . . just find it interesting to hear one from 133 miles distant.

Regards,
      Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
        What I find surprising is, I’m pretty sure I can hear a large rocket lift off all the way across the state of Florida if it’s really, really quiet like it typically is for an oh-dark-thirty launch.
        Yup, conformation of rocket rumble from 133 miles northwest of me.
        A Delta 4-Heavy lit off at 03:31 EDT this morning (8/12/2018) with the Parker Solar Probe.

Using a sound meter and stop watch app on my cell phone I was able to quantify the timing and amount of rocket rumble.

T- liftoff times:
        00:00 ~ 11:30 crickets in a very quiet neighborhood. 28~31 dB
        11:30 ~ 13:30 slow build then fade of rocket rumble. 35~51 dB
        13:30 ~ . . . . back to crickets. 28~31 dB

Launch Complex 37, Cape Canaveral ~to~ My home in Parrish, FL = 132.84 mi
        The speed of sound at sea level is (661 Knots, 761 mph)
        132.84 mi / 761 mph = 0.1745597897503285 hours = 10:28 mm:ss

So looks like sound reaching me peeks, and comes from, when the rocket has reached middle atmosphere about two minutes after liftoff.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton (ok . . . now go back to bed T.C.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          (ok . . . now go back to bed T.C.)
          An EXCELLENT idea, chum! <g> (otherwise you'll wake Melody up!)

best, randy

Comment

Well, it's about 9 crow-miles from here to LAX, and I can hear the red-eye flights taking off around 0130 when the breeze is blowing in off the ocean...

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
              Well, it's about 9 crow-miles from here to LAX, and I can hear the red-eye flights taking off around 0130 when the breeze is blowing in off the ocean...
              <grin>
              Well Mase,
              Just happens: the distance from Vandenberg AFB to LAX is the same as Cape Canaveral to my house: 133 miles! A Delta 2 is scheduled for Vandenberg on 9/15/2018 for 5:46-8:20 a.m. PDT

Find yourself a quiet place and start listening at about eleven minutes after ignition.

Regards,
              Tom Charlton

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
                LAX, and I can hear the red-eye flights taking off ...
                Still remembr them, taking off to the west over the water!

best, randy

Comment

Yup

Comment

Working...
                  X