2001: A Space Odyssey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001: A Space Odyssey

Was surf’n round the WorldWideWeb T’other day and discovered that the iconic movie “2001: A Space Odyssey” has been re-released and was playing at a nearby theater. For the 14:30 showing I think there were about five other guest during the “so-called” IMAX screening.

The Si-fi movie genre is replete with efforts reliant upon special effects with marginal plot or thoughtful content. 2001, written by author Art Clark, was a notable exception. Was one of those story lines that left myself and other departing movie goers talking. What does it all mean?

Hard to believe the quality of special effects from when I saw the original release half a century ago. Dated now for sure but amazing for the time.

“Open the pod bay door HAL! I’m sorry Dave . . . I can’t do that.”

Regards,
    Tom Charlton
    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You'll enjoy this, Tom....

Comment

EXCELLENT ! And this is why I don’t use either Alexa or Siri.
      Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
      ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
        Scott,
        Most excellent!

Regards,
        Tom Charlton
        "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

The earliest version of 2001 was a Clarke short story called "The Sentinel", which I like better for its brevity and simplicity. In that story, a lunar expediton spots something unusually shiny on a mountain peak. They climb up to find that the peak has been sheared off flat to serve as a base for a device under a dome. The dome appears to be a force field. After trying lots of ways to get into it, they finally nuke it and try to analyze the few pieces they can find. Their best guess is that it was placed there to signal that earthly life forms had not yet reached it. "We have pulled the fire alarm box. I do not think we will have to wait for long."
          Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here, we should dance.

Comment

Ohh, I will send that to some folks!

Comment

The actual response:

Comment

Working...
              X