X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaction wheel failures caused by CMEs

Quick summery:

The science paper

Interesting that the solar event would cause a mechanical failure.

Oh, goodie, another techie neologism: Relentless Root Cause Analysis. We've come so far from Zero Defects...;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
      Quick summery:
      The science paper

Interesting that the solar event would cause a mechanical failure.
      Hi Russell,
      I subscribe to and enjoy Scott Manley’s channel. I’d previously seen this edition.
      It is curious the mechanism by which a CME might cause, not just electronic mischief but, a mechanical issue.

Ralph mentioned:
      Oh, goodie, another techie neologism: Relentless Root Cause Analysis. We've come so far from Zero Defects...;-)
      Had to google it:
      ne·ol·o·gism
      noun: neologism; plural noun: neologisms
      a newly coined word or expression.

Ok . . . ?

Regards,
      Tom Charlton
      "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
        It is curious the mechanism by which a CME might cause, not just electronic mischief but, a mechanical issue.
        Indeed. While I think the mechanical issue is now understood, the curiosity is what is creating the electrical voltage inside a sealed/shielded box. It's so temptingly close when you have spinning disk since a moving magnetic field will create electricity. But the details seem just out of reach.

Comment

when you have spinning disk since a moving magnetic field will create electricity. But the details seem just out of reach.
          My SWAG: There is always residual magnetism, however weak, in magnetic metals. The sun and earth have magetic fields as well. The RPMs of the bearing balls can get very high, which could make weak magnetism in the balls a decent generator. Then, there's static electricity where contact is flaky, such as via a film of nonconductive lubricant.
          Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here, we should dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
            My SWAG: There is always residual magnetism, however weak, in magnetic metals.
            My thought as well. But then why the connection to CMEs?

I'm thinking that charged particles zipping by creates magnetic fields.

Comment

They'll be worried about more than anti-friction bearings when the next Carrington Event comes our way...
              Some say about a 1 in 10 chance in this sunspot cycle...

Reams

Comment

>>But then why the connection to CMEs?<<

CMEs result from magnetic field adjustments on the sun, and include on ejection, magnetic fields with the ejected protons.
                It is an energetic particle storm, with magnetic effects, which hits anything in their path.

Reams

Comment

Working...
                X