Owner assisted annual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner assisted annual

I participated in my first owner-assisted annual. And the A&P only charged me $100 more than if I didn't help. Great deal if you can get it.

The biggest thing that I learned? Airplane manufacturers must be in collusion with mechanics so that they can make more money. Does everything on an airplane have to be hard to get to? Does every screw/panel have to be just a little bit different from the one next to it? Now I see why it takes 30 minutes just to remove and replace a fire extinguisher bracket. Nothing fits easily.

All joking aside, it was a great experience. I learned how to change the oil and spark plugs. Watched how to get compression readings on the cylinders. Replaced the ELT battery and tested it. Mostly I just unscrewed and screwed things back together. Lots and lots of things.

One last thing? I don't think my plane was manufactured by Cessna. Instead, I think it's an Ikea plane. When I was done putting the screws back, I had extras. <shrug>

"Cheaper to manufacture" and "easy to maintain" are often antagonistic design goals. You can guess who tends to win that fight.

Best evidence: One-piece nosebowls.

Comment

Good for you, Tina! I can't think of a better way to commune with your machine. You'll feel much more confident when "something just doesn't look right ... or does it?" moments arise during preflights. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Tina Gonsalves View Post
        I participated in my first owner-assisted annual.

All joking aside, it was a great experience. I learned how to change the oil and spark plugs. Watched how to get compression readings on the cylinders. Replaced the ELT battery and tested it. Mostly I just unscrewed and screwed things back together. Lots and lots of things.
        Hi Tina,
        Yup! Nothing like getting to know: when I wiggle this thing-a-ma-jig here in the cockpit … what’s it do’n out there at the other end under the cowling.

Like many flying for a living I’ve always rolled up my sleeves when a company aircraft is in the shop. As the new caretaker of my 1946 Piper Cub I did get my hands dirty during its annual inspection last summer.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton
        "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Kid asks me if the electric flaps have ever jammed on my plane. I told him that they hadn't. He said, "Not yet they haven't." (I guess in his vast experience the flaps on my airplane *always* jam at some point.)

He did tell me what I have to do when that happens. Reach under the dash behind the lever and jiggle stuff.

I'm on my way to being an A&P!

Comment

Originally posted by Tina Gonsalves View Post
            Kid . . . did tell me what I have to do when that happens. Reach under the dash behind the lever and jiggle stuff.
            Hi Tina,
            Ha, ha . . . kid done broke da code<g>!

Regards,
            Tom Charlton
            "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
              kid done broke da code<g>!
              Think about that Tom, mine doesn't have any flaps.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                Think about that Tom, mine doesn't have any flaps.
                best, randy
                Hi Randy,

Yup . . . I tried to jiggle stuff under the panel of my J-3 and still can’t get the flaps to work. Howsomever . . . Side-Slips are effective, fun’n easy<g>!

Regards,
                Tom Charlton

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
                  Howsomever . . . Side-Slips are effective,
                  Yup, works "mo-bettah".

best, randy

Comment

Working...
                  X