World’s Newest Commercial Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World’s Newest Commercial Pilot

Introducing Jay Alson, already on Avsig plotting his OSH trip this summer, who became a commercial pilot on a windy, turbulent morning today. Congratulations! (The Alson dynasty continues....)
    Last edited by Scott Dyer HPN/NY; 04-30-2018, 09:18.

Congratulations, Jay! I have a student taking the Commercial checkride today too (weather permitting).

Comment

Well done, Jay! Congratulations from the proud papa! Nice job CFI Scott also!

dad

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats also.

Comment

Congratulations, Jay! Good deal getting it done in challenging conditions. It's preparation for reality if you're going to be a working pilot. My first commercial job was all VFR, but there was no such thing as "too windy", and got back under SVFR in thunderstorms a couple of times.
            Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Thanks everyone! And a special big thanks to my great CFI Scott!

Figured I'd send along a detailed recap from the test while it's still fresh in my mind.

The checkride was scheduled for today about 2 weeks ago and until 2 days ago, the weather looked sunny and fine. Then over the past few days the winds crept up and the ceilings started on down.

The DPE (a former Citation corporate pilot and current police helicopter search and rescue pilot with 17,000 hours) and I were texting yesterday afternoon about the weather and he asked me whether it was fine to fly or not. I delayed the decision until later that evening. Even later that evening with a windy VFR forecast +30% probability 2500 BKN levels, some of the maneuvers wouldn't be possible with clouds at that level (like the steep spirals from ~5,550). So we hopped on a call and I explained that I wouldn't fly normally fly the full route but we could probably get in the checkride and we planned to meet at 8am this morning for the checkride.

I did well on the written (91%) so I think that helped with the duration of the oral. Plus, in my preflight briefing, I explained to him that the weather was coming in from the north and with OVC & freezing levels from 2000-5000, the rain and freezing rain wouldn't be too good for our flight. He then goes, "So I guess you're saying it would be better to fly sooner?" "Yes". We finished up a little later (not rushed) and he explained that the oral could continue throughout the flight.

Some of the topics that came up on the oral were the privileges of a commercial pilot (can you fly anyone, an owner, etc.), medical certificates, currency for an individual or aircraft, flight planning, propellors, emergency gear extensions, and more.

Then we went out to preflight where I talked him through everything. What I'm looking for (fuel/oil levels, which tank to use, etc.).

During startup, I talked him through the electrical system, validating the volts pre and post alternator, getting the ATIS, etc.

Our preflight briefing for the flight was to skip the flight plan completely (with all the rain, freezing levels north, etc.) and just head over to Croton Point and do maneuvers.

After clearing the Bravo, we headed up northbound to 3,000 ft (that was about as high as we could get for cloud clearance), and after clearing turns (he only asked that I do them once for the flight), he asked to see steep turns (which worked out pretty well), then slow flight for a full 360, then a power off stall to recovery, then a power on stall (which happened super quickly - I asked if he wanted me to do it again, he said not necessary), then we did steep spirals from 3,500 (which because of the clouds, we could only do 2 360's), then we dropped down low over Croton Point, and did 8's on Pylons which worked out pretty well despite the winds gusting to 27 or 29, then he had me do a Chandelle (which I went a bit over 30 degree bank and then corrected from), and then headed back to HPN for some pattern work.

On the way back, approach wouldn't answer so I just went to tower. First he asked for a power off 180 on the downwind (these I'd been practicing a lot to hit the exact mark, which I pretty much did - he said he would be happy as long as I got on the runway), then a touch & go to right traffic for a soft field landing, to a touch and go to a final short field landing (which at a 20-30 knot headwind was extra short). We would have easily made the first taxiway had it not been closed, allowing tower to clear us to parking with him directly.

He helped me push the plane back and we went inside, he signed me off, and we spent the next 20-30 minutes just talking flying. He was a great guy. Really enjoyed the experience.

And just like that, I'm now a commercial pilot.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Alson View Post

And just like that, I'm now a commercial pilot.

Jay
                Nice write up, Jay!

Comment

[QUOTE=Jay Alson;n3672]And just like that, I'm now a commercial pilot/QUOTE]

Chuckle, well, not 'zactly "just like that" but sounds ta'me like he was more interested in the "whole thing" or "big picture" instead of just "in the book". Congratz!

best, randy (NDPER in the past)

Comment

[QUOTE=Randy Sohn;n3678]
                    And just like that, I'm now a commercial pilot/QUOTE]

Chuckle, well, not 'zactly "just like that" but sounds ta'me like he was more interested in the "whole thing" or "big picture" instead of just "in the book". Congratz!

best, randy (NDPER in the past)
                    Definitely right, Randy. He stressed the big picture and wanted to see awareness and correcting instead of being exactly perfect the entire time.

Comment

wanted to see awareness and correcting
                      Chuckle, yup, spent a whole lotta episodes waiting to see 'zactly that!

best, randy

Comment

Congrats Jay. Great stuff!

Comment

Congratulations Jay, and welcome to Avsig!

Patty

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X