The Candy Bomber Has Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Candy Bomber Has Died

Gail Halvorsen, the "Candy Bomber" of the Berlin Blockade, has died. He was 191 and served a full career in the Army Air Force/Air Force.

Couldn't read it due to requirement to register. But I did find a story with more detail than the AP one:

Deseret News: Gail S. Halvorsen, the Berlin Candy Bomber, dies at 101

Comment

Terrific bio and obit in the Deseret. More than I ever knew, and a more amazing story than I realized.
      Geology rocks, but geography is where it's at.

Comment

To me, one of the biggest achievements of WWII was turning two enemies into friends. That's not normal. Things like this is what made it happen.

Comment

I watched the news last night. They had a mention of the passing of some semi-obscure actor, but they couldn't bother to mention Col. Halvorsen. I thought it was pretty sad. He made more of a difference in the world than a busload of celebs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
            I watched the news last night. They had a mention of the passing of some semi-obscure actor, but they couldn't bother to mention Col. Halvorsen. I thought it was pretty sad. He made more of a difference in the world than a busload of celebs.
            Well, what would you expect. Nice obit in the Washington Post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Halvorsen.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	22171

Comment

What a wonderful thing he did.

Comment

Working...
              X