This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-Step Program for TAP Addicts

Here’s a pretty simple way to keep the forum’s complexity out of your life if you’re coming from a TAP interface. It’s not TAPCIS, but it keeps your screen sparse.

1. To scan only new AVSIG messages each time you visit the forum, bookmark:

http://dev.avsig.com/search?r=84025

as your entry to AVSIG. (I’m going to keep an eye on the function of this link. It produced the expected result in every browser and logged session I threw it at today).

Every time you enter AVSIG as a logged-in member via that link you will get a full screen of new messages since your last visit.

2. To read full messages using just that screen:

Right-click and open in a new window the “Go to Post” button under messages you’d like to read in full.

When you’re done reading a specific message, click the “x” on that message’s tab window to get rid of it and get back to your list of new AVSIG messages.

3. To reply to a message:

Click the “quote” button in any message window. The message you’re replying to will appear as a quoteback in the composition window below (it’s the same window that otherwise prompts you to “write something.”). Or if you don’t want to quote the message you’re replying to, just type your reply in the “write something” box. You then have your choice of several “Post Reply” buttons on that same window. Click any of them – they all do the same thing. They will post your reply.

To post a new subject you will have to wade into the forum, select the appropriate section, and hit the “New Topic.”

Easy as π

Comment

Mike, how do I print out your message?

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
        Mike, how do I print out your message?
        Right-click anywhere on the message and select "Print."

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post

Right-click anywhere on the message and select "Print."
          Wow. I didn't know about that. For me, that'll print the whole string. Great for saving into a PDF file.

Comment

Mike, in my computer it brings up a list of things, but print it not one of them.

Comment

Mike, in my computer it brings up a list of things, but print it not one of them.
              What browser are you using, Ward?

Comment

Hi Ward -- I get "print" as an option in my Chrome browser. Did you get the image of Mike's instructions that I sent to you via email for printing yesterday? (That was before I knew of the right click function.....)

Comment

Mike,

I'm using Firefox and I don't get "print" as an option when I right click in a message. I do get "select all" after which I can then copy and paste to a word doc for printing. Seems like there should be an easier way though.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Alson View Post
                    Mike,

I'm using Firefox and I don't get "print" as an option when I right click in a message. I do get "select all" after which I can then copy and paste to a word doc for printing. Seems like there should be an easier way though.

Andy
                    There is a print option in the Firefox options menu (upper-right corner of the current version). I can't think of any modern web browser that doesn't have a print option, so if you don't see it by right-clicking (Chrome, IE/Edge) go poking around -- it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
                      That search seems a bit quirky. I saw it miss something before, and now I've caught it doing it again. It caught Stephanie's post in "Drone Warfare", but missed the one in "How bad could it be"?

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                        That search seems a bit quirky. I saw it miss something before, and now I've caught it doing it again. It caught Stephanie's post in "Drone Warfare", but missed the one in "How bad could it be"?
                        So far I'm getting everything, but I am trying to determine what results frequent and/or static-frequent (always tabbed, same browser session) visitors are getting. Do you recall if the same browser session is open in these cases and whether you have clicked through the forum sections at some point during a period where a new notification goes missing?

Comment

What I did was browse to this thread and ran the query which opens another tab. I then compared it to my "blue icon" hunting. I'm not sure of the exact order, but it was in the same browser - just different tabs. Also, I tend to have a tab open to AVSIG all the time, so that might have caused a problem. I'm not sure how it's determining "new". The blue icons use some kind of "read" flag. If the query uses a timestamp (last activity?), that could be the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                            What I did was browse to this thread and ran the query which opens another tab. I then compared it to my "blue icon" hunting. I'm not sure of the exact order, but it was in the same browser - just different tabs. Also, I tend to have a tab open to AVSIG all the time, so that might have caused a problem. I'm not sure how it's determining "new". The blue icons use some kind of "read" flag. If the query uses a timestamp (last activity?), that could be the issue.
                            I suspect some combinations of "presence" and activity may filter some posts from that search set -- still sorting out what forum actions work to dismiss those notifications. It probably won't be an issue for TAP-types if their visits are truly hit-and-run TAP style.

Comment

What I'm thinking is that the query may be a "since last visit" type - however, "last visit" may be about 15-20 minutes after the last time you hit the server. (Connection time out). So, any posts in that time frame may be ignored. Perhaps an actual logout would help - at least narrow the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X