British Pilot Union Unhappy with 737MAX Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Pilot Union Unhappy with 737MAX Fixes

The manual trim wheels were made smallerdue to larger glass screens. Now, if there's a runaway trim situation and the plane must be trimmed manually after disconnecting the magic, BOTH pilots must operate their respective trim wheels simultaneously. Reminds me of an Eastern flight which crashed in the Everglades mainly because both pilots were preoccupied with a defective landing gear llight.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/...max_faa_balpa/
    Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
    The manual trim wheels were made smallerdue to larger glass screens. Now, if there's a runaway trim situation and the plane must be trimmed manually after disconnecting the magic, BOTH pilots must operate their respective trim wheels simultaneously. Reminds me of an Eastern flight which crashed in the Everglades mainly because both pilots were preoccupied with a defective landing gear llight.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/...max_faa_balpa/
    OMG, the two people in the cockpit actually have to work together.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
      The manual trim wheels were made smaller . . .
      Hi Ray,
      With regards to flying a 737, I read on the intertube:
      When holding more and more back pressure to hold the nose up, with too much down trim, it soon gets nearly impossible to manually roll the trim wheel. Too much friction on the jackscrew. You need to either slow down or momentarily let loose of the backpressure and quickly roll the trim wheel.

So I understand you to tell me that due to space considerations Boeing goes to a smaller trim wheel?

Full disclosure: My only experience in a Boeing involved teaching mild scare-o-batics in a biplane.

Regards,
      Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

OMG, the two people in the cockpit actually have to work together.
        Yeahbut, I have to agree with BALPA that it breaks the concept of PF nd PNF. I find that worrisome.
        Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          Hi Ray,
          With regards to flying a 737, I read on the intertube:
          When holding more and more back pressure to hold the nose up, with too much down trim, it soon gets nearly impossible to manually roll the trim wheel. Too much friction on the
          In the two crashes, they were well above redline speed.

Outside the envelope, all bets are off.

And remember, they could turn the trim on, run the trim to near trimmed with the electric trim (use of the electric trim switch disables the auto trim) and then turn the electric trim off.

Then you will only need SMALL trim changes.

Comment

Working...
          X