The Last 747

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last 747

Has departed the Everett factory. Nice appreciation from the Seattle Times here.

Fifty-five years is a good production run. Think back about what airplanes were being made 55 years before Boeing began cutting metal on 747s.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
      Fifty-five years is a good production run.
      I think there were quite a few models that went from first flight to completely retired in a span of 55 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
        Think back about what airplanes were being made 55 years before Boeing began cutting metal on 747s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DH-4.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	23623

Comment

I just Googled longest production run for aircraft. The requirement was, less than 1 decade production hiatis.

Cub. Counting the current crop of Cub copies, 1930 to today.

Longest production run by a single manufacturer - Bonanza, 1947 to current

Another long one is the AN--2, 1947 to 2001, but a turbo prop variant, AN-3, is still being produced.

Honorable mention is the C-130. 1954 to current, but only 2300 built.

Rotary win g-- UH-1 Huey, 1959 to current.

Comment

DC-3/R4D/C47/Dakota/R4Q/C117/BT67 all count as one marque? If so, 1935 to present. Longer if you count DC-2.

Comment

BT67 is REmanufactured. So not really new aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                BT67 is REmanufactured. So not really new aircraft.
                Hmmm... if you are gonna count the Pseudo-Cubs and the AN-3, I think I have a case.

Comment

AN-3 can make a case that it really is a - number change. Same airframe, different engine. New construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                    I just Googled longest production run for aircraft.
                    One of my faves:
                    The twin bitch, er I mean, the Beechcraft model 18: 1937–1970. (33 years)
                    I think back in its day it was a production longevity record.

Regards,
                    Tom Charlton
                    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post

One of my faves:
                      The twin bitch, er I mean, the Beechcraft model 18: 1937–1970. (33 years)
                      I think back in its day it was a production longevity record.

Regards,
                      Tom Charlton
                      Tom,

I was setting on the ramp at Phu Bai in December, 1971. It was dark (about 19:00) and raining. While I'm setting there one of the Air America BE-18's (the were dark blue) taxies on to the ramp, the door opens and a guy gets out an walks toward the operations center. The guy had on a wide-brim fedora and long trench coat and was carrying a large brief case. For an instance I thought I was in some kind of time warp and that was Humphrey Bogart getting off the plane.

Stuff like this starts happening to a person when they've spent too much time in an assault helicopter company. ROFL
                      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
                        For an instance I thought I was in some kind of time warp and that was Humphrey Bogart getting off the plane.
                        Likely one of many unknowable mysteries?<G>.

Stuff like this starts happening to a person when they've spent too much time in an assault helicopter company. ROFL
                        Thanks for being there. Except for one afternoon, Formosa was as close as I got where I wrenched on C-130s

Regards,
                        Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                        X