Wanna Buy a Swift (and the Rights to Make Them)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna Buy a Swift (and the Rights to Make Them)?

$449K will get you the single Swift-Fury and the rights to make more.

The Fury ought to be the stuff of tragedy. It was conceived when there were a lot of guys who learned to fly in the `40s were retiring. A high-performance single that handled like a baby fighter would have been ideal.

But the 1980s was a lousy time to sell new airplanes. And now, the generation of pilots who began training in Cubs and Champs and who dreamed of flying Mustangs are dying off. The retiring Boomers trained in Cessna 150s; those who wanted to fly tailwheel airplanes had to make an effort to do that.

I'm guessing that the market for Swifts is probably softer than it was ten or twenty years ago. $249K for a one-off is probably waay too much. And another $200K for the rights to build an airplane that people have been trying to bring to production for thirty years? I wouldn't pay ten bucks for that.

One of my funniest airport days involved a Swift, long ago. I was hanging out at Mary Gaffaney's school, where I did my PPL, when one of her tiedown customers bought a fixer-upper Swift on the other side of the field. So here he came, taxiing an airplane with no ailerons on it...the tale he told kept some people going for what seemed like forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post
      Swifts
      Chuckle, a million stories here about that 125 Swift (N-3297K) we had. Recalling one, Lou and I sorta couldn't afford any unnecessary MX, brake pucks needed replacing, got down to only the left side adequate, was gonna taxi it over to the eastside of LBB's airport to have them replaced, Roy (Wes-Tex AC) told the story for years of watching us taxi across to the MX hangar, a long curving line on the taxiways with the X-wind, then let up and let it ground loop, catch it again and another curving line of resumed taxing, then another groundloop and on and on, repeated as necessary, until we got it over to the MX side of the airport to fix the brakes.

best, randy

Comment

I had that same experience with a one side brake Stinson 108...several 270s...

With Swifts... This Buckaroo wants this Buckaroo!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post
          This Buckaroo wants this Buckaroo!
          Chuckle, Charlie's T-35. I always favored it but the "milkstool" won out!

best, randy

Comment

Now if I win one of the two jackpots this weekend.....

Comment

Working...
            X