Birth of the Huey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of the Huey

Dusting off the archives :-). Great old movie that discusses and gets into all the issues involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k562IriqnlA

"...thrown through the rotor!!"

Comment

I've got about 100 hours in the "47" or the "13" in the Army. Had my first engine failure in one when the waste gate failed on the turbo charger (13T) and I blew a jug. A couple of them I flew had wooden blades and part of the preflight was to age the cracks in the blades. I always liked flying the "13" and always thought it was very stable and honest.

Grace and Peace,
      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
        Dusting off the archives :-). Great old movie that discusses and gets into all the issues involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k562IriqnlA
        Now that right there was fascinating. An amazing study of development and problem solving Thanks for sharing Dave.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Amazing what good engineers can do when they get their mind set on something!
          Like Bill, I got time in the OH-13 (military version of the 47). We used them to get our instrument rating. Would take off from the ground after a bit of time in them, and IP would take over on short final all under the hood. Toward the end, we would get very low, almost to hover height before IP would take control. Didn't get rated in it, because we didn't to any actual landings :-). Took a bit of adjustment from the Hughes (TH-5) as control movements were a bit slower.
          I think Bill got all my actual emergency work :-). Never had a problem we didn't find on pre-flight if it started.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
            Thanks for sharing Dave.
            X 2!

best, randy

Comment

Working...
            X