Results from Testing C-180 wing with Sportsman Cuff Mods and WingX STOL extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results from Testing C-180 wing with Sportsman Cuff Mods and WingX STOL extensions

I did video of the results of my Tuft Testing of my Stall Tests. Pretty interesting results, check it out if your interested! I don't know how to embed videos... sorry.

gunny

Originally posted by Scott Perdue (50F) View Post
    I did video of the results of my Tuft Testing
    Gunny, that reminded me about a video I'd watched many years ago, same deal but with a DC-3. As the locals up here are wont to mutter -"Uff-dah!"

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Perdue (50F) View Post
      I did video of the results of my Tuft Testing of my Stall Tests. Pretty interesting results, check it out if your interested!https://youtu.be/M-S7kiOyQnM
      Hi Gunny,

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing that.
      One thing I’ve sometimes been curious about is a definitive evaluation of the effect of “VGs” on cruise speed.
      Sure would be interesting data points if you’d do a couple of full power runs with and without VGs. Duplicate flight parameters best you can.

Hmm . . . Wonder if VGs would preclude a J3 Cub from entering and sustaining multi turn spin?

Regards,
      Tom Charlton
      "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
        Gunny, that reminded me about a video I'd watched many years ago, same deal but with a DC-3.
        Hi Randy,

I remember seeing that video. Must’a been a fun ride for all concerned . . . specially the dude hold’n on trying to shoot film through a window in the back.

Couple’a years ago, I remember listening to some pilot pontificating about what a fine fly’n air-o-plane the diesel three was. I also remember think’n at the time what Capt. Sohn had to say bout that.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton
        "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          remember listening to some pilot pontificating about what a fine fly’n air-o-plane the diesel three was
          Tom, can you put this on Avsig?
          From Randy:

Yup Tom, t'wuz (in normal ops anyhow)! But conducting flight training I guess we got to see some aspects of that old biddy that a normal pilot would NEVER be exposed during line ops. Thinking back now to those days of giving either "new hired"/"six month checks"/ferries/test hops/etc. prolly exposed me to just shakin' my head when someone starts in on that ole BS! Guar-ran-dang-tee ya that we got to experience some nasty habits that old Dieeel Three had. Only airplane that I ever let a student get me into a spin in. I thought that "over the cockpit" escape hatch was gonna fly off! Pete Wahl and Art Hinke had told me that I needed to always exhibit a relaxed demeanor in order to give the students (new hires) a confidence factor. So I just sorta laid back and sprawled in the left seat with my left hand/arm off the controls and resting up on the glareshield while conducting some stall practice. When the first indications/shudder of the impending stall was reached, we taught "lower the nose to beneath the horizon and then apply METO on the Wright 1820s". We always had a fair amount of altitude when doing stalls, in this case several thousand feet. Anyhow, thie student instead of lowering the nose, got wide eyes and tried to RAISE the nose by pulling the yoke full back and applied METO. I can stiil recall that old biddy #3 letting out with an aggrieved snort or something, it dropped one wing, pointed itself straight towards the ground and that hatch's bungee cords to both its handles set up a vibation like a guitar's stings while I grabbed for the control wheel(which wasn't where I grabbed cuz he'd pulled it all the way to the rear)! We were just talking about it this morning at our twice monthly retired pilot's breakfast and someone asked me how much altitude we lost. I guess it must'a been a few thousand feet or so. Not a whole lotta sympathy from Pete or Art or anyone back at home base when I got back, told me that I could find "sympathy" in the dictionary after the S and welcome to instructing new hires in the 3. They just chuckled and sez, "Well kid, guess that'll leern ya, durn'ya".

best, randy (good to be retired)

Comment

Working...
          X