• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval aircraft pics

Link posted on another board
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/230329...27548881/page1

Thanks. Some great pictures.

Comment

Seeing Goblin in there was a surprise. I suspect some of the pics are actually from museum visits.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
        Thanks. Some great pictures.
        Concur! And also the fhought struck me that I'd bet that a few here thought that they were looking at something that actually wasn't the airplane that they'd thought that it was.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
          Seeing Goblin in there was a surprise. I suspect some of the pics are actually from museum visits.
          I remember the Goblin from the WPAFB Museum. Pretty sure some of the other pics are there, but the museum's been moved from the Patterson to the Wright side since I was there, so can't be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
            I remember the Goblin from the WPAFB Museum. Pretty sure some of the other pics are there, but the museum's been moved from the Patterson to the Wright side since I was there, so can't be sure.
            That has been a LONG time. I first went there in 1980, and it was at the current site. But it has grown a LOT since then. From one building to 4 or 5 now.

Comment

That has been a LONG time. I first went there in 1980, and it was at the current site. But it has grown a LOT since then. From one building to 4 or 5 now.
              I was there around 2003. The Goblin was on the AF base. You had to catch a bus from the Museum to get on base to the hanger to see the collection of Air Force One and experimental aircraft. But when I went last year, everything was on the Museum side. Not as much left outside anymore.

Comment

Lots of prototypes there. The C-123 looks naked with nothing on the wings.

Comment

I was there around 2003. The Goblin was on the AF base. You had to catch a bus from the Museum to get on base to the hanger to see the collection of Air Force One and experimental aircraft. But when I went last year, everything was on the Museum side. Not as much left outside anymore.
                  Last time I was there, there two locations on the base. One was the Presidential aircraft hanger. And you just caught a bus over and back that ran every so often. Once you got there, you could just walk around and see the aircraft. Some of which you could board. There were some others in there, I remember the F-107 (F-100 with over cockpit intake).

The other, was the restoration hanger, where they have lots of things stored, and do the work to get them ready for the museum. That was a once a day tour, and it had limited seating. You had to reserve ahead, or get into the standby line to see if there were enough no-shows. We did standby and go on the tour. Got to talk to the guy who was just finishing the GAU-8A restoration for display. One thing I remember also seeing with the 2/3 or 3/4 scale T-46.

I know, at the time (maybe 07 or 08), the plan was for them to move everything over to the museum side eventually.

Comment

Last time I was there, there two locations on the base. One was the Presidential aircraft hanger. And you just caught a bus over and back that ran every so often. Once you got there, you could just walk around and see the aircraft. Some of which you could board. There were some others in there, I remember the F-107 (F-100 with over cockpit intake).
                    I don't remember the F-107, but given it was a test aircraft, it could have been there. Everything else matches what I remember.

I've not been to the restoration hanger.

I know, at the time (maybe 07 or 08), the plan was for them to move everything over to the museum side eventually.
                    If they're not there, they are certainly closer to that goal.

Comment

I don't remember the F-107, but
                      Wasn't it that N.A. deal with it's intake behind and above the cockpit?

best, tandy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

Wasn't it that N.A. deal with it's intake behind and above the cockpit?

best, tandy
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-107

Yeap, based on the F-100.

Comment

I don't remember the F-107, but given it was a test aircraft, it could have been there. Everything else matches what I remember.

I've not been to the restoration hanger.
                          It tucked under the wing of one of the presidential aircraft.

The resto hanger is actually several hangers. But very interested in the stuff they have waiting to be restored and added to the museum.

Other good trip used to be the Garber Facitlity. NASM storage and resto site. I know that plan there was to move everything to the Udvar-Hazy site. They used to have an open house weekend. Otherwise, it was weekdays, by appointment only.

Comment

Several nice sets; indeed some look like the air shows that used to be at Wright-Patterson, and before the museum moved into its dedicated facility. Others look like the Dayton airshow, which ran for many, many years. Nice seeing all the old Navy Reserve birds represented as well as several different iterations of F-89’s, F-86’s, F2H’s, B-47’s, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X