Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-36 Takeoff

https://youtu.be/9FJVxtTNjJk

Wow! 6 recipes and four jets with inspiring music to accompany! Quite the deal to get that bird off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
      Chuckle, still recall that old "six turnin', four burnin' and two putt-putts" about those guys over at Carswell AFB at FTW.

best, randy (good ole daze)

Comment

Of course, that's a clip from "Strategic Air Command", starring Jimmy Stewart. Lotsa beautiful B-36D pix in that one. What little one gets to see of June Allyson is also lovely.
        Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
          clip from "Strategic Air Command"
          Remember it well...one continuous shot from brake release to gear up, filmed from Paul Mantz's B-25.
          Jimmy Stewart's character was loosely based on Ted Williams, who took two timeouts from baseball to fly for the Navy and Marines.

Comment

The movie is on Amazon Prime. I watched it a few months ago.

Comment

If I recall correctly, Ted Williams had some of the fastest reflexes ever recorded in the testing he took entering service. Heck, with all that stuff turning and burning, hard to imagine somethin ain't working right a lot.

Comment

[QUOTE /with all that stuff turning and burning, hard to imagine somethin ain't working right[/QUOTE]

Chuckle, recall saying to myself several times something similar when I had to shutdown and feather (dark and stormy night out over the Atlanic) one of those 28 cylinder "corncobs" (P&W R-4360).

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
                  one of those 28 cylinder "corncobs" (P&W R-4360).
                  If Convair had had their way, the B-36 engine would have had 36 cylinders and water cooling! Dropping that was what forced them to tack on the four jets.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_XR-7755

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                    If Convair had had their way, the B-36 engine would have had 36 cylinders and water cooling! Dropping that was what forced them to tack on the four jets.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_XR-7755
                    Yup, concur. IIRC, also had aux turbine engines on the KC-97s. Don't rightly recall now what the tanker guys grossed on takeoffs (? 175,000# ?), on the MATS C-97s we grossed 153,000#.

besst, randy

Comment

Working...
                    X