A-1 and A-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-1 and A-10

I was watching the You Tube Wings episodes on the A-1 and the A-10.

Interesting the parallels. The military not wanting them, but nothing else would do the job. Multiple aircraft introduced to replace them, but they kept on going and going.

And the basic fact is there have been no other aircraft that could really do CAS well.

Dad flew the AD (before it was an A-1) and I flew the A-10. Comparing, the big difference between the two it 100 - 150 knots.

I don't know Terry. Don't recall the A1Es we had support us having that 30mm gun (:. Wonderful birds from the ground support perspective. The AF never did look at that as one of their primary roles. Go back to WWII and that always was a secondary if that mission. When I called for air, those birds were first on my list. Never got support from the A-10. I was leaving active duty when that came on.

Comment

I always thought the A-7 did a nice job when I was in SE Asia.
      I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
      48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Yes, I called those in several times second tour, but those folks weren’t low enough to pick out their own targets and had short on- station time. But they sure were accurate if you found something and could guide them in.

Comment

I should add, and needed thousand pounders on the target. We used them against tanks that were hiding.

Comment

Nope, no 30mm, but they did have 4x 20mm cannon.

What got me was so many statements about the A-1 are identical to statements about the A-10. Even the ones about detractors and about it being obsolete, but it still being used years after.

Comment

Did they all have the 4x20s? I seem to recall.50 cal, but was only on the ground employing them. Never got close up or flew them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                Did they all have the 4x20s? I seem to recall.50 cal, but was only on the ground employing them. Never got close up or flew them.
                4x20mm from the AD4 (Korean War) on.

Comment

Well! No wonder I liked them so much!

Comment

Working...
                  X