First time A-10 lands on highway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time A-10 lands on highway?

Saying the first time an AF A-10 has purposely landed on a highway. Can that be right?

Four A-10 Thunderbolt IIs from the 354th Fighter Squadron and the Michigan Air National Guard’s 127th Wing landed on a state highway as part of Northern Strike 21, a large-scale training exercise, in

Emphasis added: "This is the first time in history that the Air Force has purposely landed modern aircraft on a civilian roadway in the U.S.".

I assume "purposely" to mean that was the mission plan, as opposed to an an emergency landing strip.

I have to wonder what the real purpose of this was for - to learn and practice how to do this (including ground support and logistics), or send a message to an adversary?

Comment

"Runway? We ain't got no runways. We don't need no runways. I don't have to show you any stinkin' runways!". (Alfonso "Gold hat" Hogdriver in "Treasure of the 30mm")

Yeah, I think it sends a message: " Don't bother blowing up or defending airfields. We're coming anyway."
      Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

This has been proposed for many years. That in case of armed conflict inside the US, that the highways could be used as runways.

Same concept in Germany about using the autobahns.

Not sure if they ever after did this in Germany.

Comment

Not just A-10s. They also landed two C-146 turboprops. You can view a local television news report at upnorthlive.com.

Comment

That's why the Interstate highway system was built. It wasn't just to get you to the beach quicker.

Comment

I can recommend I-94 in North Dakota, west of Fargo. A number of years ago our Cardinal RG made an emergency landing on the Interstate, shortly after getting an engine overhaul. Turned out to be counterfeit bolts. No damage to the aircraft. He landed, taxied off to the shoulder, and quickly used the tow-bar to get the plane out of traffic (of which there was very, very little). Later, they put it on a flatbed to the nearest airport where it could be repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                This has been proposed for many years. That in case of armed conflict inside the US, that the highways could be used as runways.

Same concept in Germany about using the autobahns.

Not sure if they ever after did this in Germany.
                The Swedes have runways marked on certain highways and Cave-hangars nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post

The Swedes have runways marked on certain highways and Cave-hangars nearby.
                  I saw cave hangars one time - at Bardufoss, Norway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post
                    That's why the Interstate highway system was built. It wasn't just to get you to the beach quicker.
                    [quote]

One in five miles of the Interstate System is straight so airplanes can land in emergencies.

This myth is widespread on the Internet and in reference sources, but has no basis in law, regulation, design manual—or fact. Airplanes occasionally land on Interstates when no alternative is available in an emergency, not because the Interstates are designed for that purpose.[quote]

Supposedly not.

Is 1 mile out of 5 on U.S. interstates really supposed to be straight so that planes can land on them in an emergency? Find out the truth about this long-held urban legend.

And a 1 mile straight section is a bit short (5,280 foot runway) for aircraft of the 50 and 60s.

Can you imagine operating an F-4, F-100, etc off of a 5280 foot runway?

Comment

F-100s didn't need no stinking runway!

Comment

Wow! All that rocket power to put an F-100 in the air. I guess it had a purpose at the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Gil Buettner View Post

I saw cave hangars one time - at Bardufoss, Norway.
                          I saw those same hangars in 1975!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                            Wow! All that rocket power to put an F-100 in the air. I guess it had a purpose at the time!
                            It wasn't an unusual thing. They did that with all sorts of early jets. There is footage out there of the Soviets doing ZLLs with Mig-15s, the Luftwaffe did it with F-104s. I guess they wanted to have some surviving airpower after the first round of nukes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                              There were plans to spot vertical take off interceptors all over the country. The pilot would live near he aircraft, and when the Russians attacked, they would run to their interceptor and take off and fight them off.

There was also the Pogo, which was a VTOL turbo prop and the VertiJet a VTOL jet.

Comment

Working...
                              X