Appraisal for B17 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appraisal for B17 engine

So I’ve got a good friend who bought an old rusty B17 engine on eBay a number of years ago. He put a lot of time into it, took it all apart, scrounged around for parts as needed and ended up with a very nicely restored working engine. Not technically airworthy since many of the parts he used worked well and were in nice clean condition but never yellow tagged, so not legally airworthy. He has kept it in his country house upstate NY, and many summers he would pull it out of his barn (air conditioned and heated barn), have many friends over for a BBQ and would start up the engine and run it for a while.

Now he’s in the process of selling the house and will be donating the engine to a museum. The museum will provide him with a letter confirming the donation, but will not attach a value to the donation.

So, for tax purposes he needs to obtain an appraisal of the engine’s value.

Naturally, AVSIG is the place I turn to for suggestions as to people or appraisers who might be able to help him out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

CURTISS WRIGHT 1820-82 ENGINES • $4,800 • CLEANING OUT THE HANGARCW 1820 engines and stands. Condition unknown some log books average 700 hours SMOH. • Contact Fred L. Austin - GOLDEN AGE AEROPLANES located Sparks, NV USA • Telephone: 360-477-3100 • Posted June 20, 2018 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This Ad
    And believe it or not, there are two 1820 cores listed for sale on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=171102

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Alson View Post
      So I’ve got a good friend who bought an old rusty B17 engine on eBay a number of years ago. He put a lot of time into it, took it all apart, scrounged around for parts as needed and ended up with a very nicely restored working engine. Not technically airworthy since many of the parts he used worked well and were in nice clean condition but never yellow tagged, so not legally airworthy. He has kept it in his country house upstate NY, and many summers he would pull it out of his barn (air conditioned and heated barn), have many friends over for a BBQ and would start up the engine and run it for a while.

Now he’s in the process of selling the house and will be donating the engine to a museum. The museum will provide him with a letter confirming the donation, but will not attach a value to the donation.

So, for tax purposes he needs to obtain an appraisal of the engine’s value.

Naturally, AVSIG is the place I turn to for suggestions as to people or appraisers who might be able to help him out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy
      I'd go with the core value, because it's not airworthy and prolly needs to be majored before flying it.

Comment

I'd go with the core value, because it's not airworthy and prolly needs to be majored before flying it.
        That's an appropriate answer, assuming a willing buyer would want to fly it. I can't help wondering, though, if there aren't two or more collectors who would pay more than core value for an example in running condition. If so, a bidding war could push the value up. I'd be one if I had the space for it, and the money to keep it runnable.

If there's an appraiser familar with the collectibles market for such, it might be worth getting an auction estimate.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I'd only want if it were with 3 others, mounted on a flyable B-17.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
            I'd only want if it were with 3 others, mounted on a flyable B-17.
            And a shipload of fuel...;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post

R., we figured 105 GPH for the DC-3s at NOR (same engines but R 1820-202A) and I alwys flight planned 210 GPH for the B-17s. (2 engines and 4 engines)

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

And believe it or not, there are two 1820 cores listed for sale on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=171102
                Keep in mind, that's asking price. I prefer the "completed" auctions. Here's one

Comment

Friend is well aware of the listings on ebay. That's also where he got the engine in the first place. I'd guess that the ones listed there are not in flyable condition either, and my not be operable. His is completely restored and runs very nicely, although not legal for flight operations. Might go pretty nicely on an airboat?

Anyway, still have some inquiries out looking for a knowledgeable appraiser.

Thanks everyone.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Alson View Post
                    Might go pretty nicely on an airboat?
                    It shouldn't be hard to figure out the worth of an airboat engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post

Or a prepaid debit card....

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Belser View Post

Or a prepaid debit card....
                        Four 3350s on the 29 gets even worse!

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                          It shouldn't be hard to figure out the worth of an airboat engine.
                          Or this...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post

Or this...
                            I'd be careful about torqueing that throttle …..

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

I'd be careful about torqueing that throttle …..
                              Pretty sure that is an Australian Rotec R3600 (219ci/150 hp) engine.

Not quite as much torque reaction as an R-3350.
                              Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                              ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Working...
                              X