• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Footage of B-29 in Lake Meade

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/...-released.html

was there an earlier thread on the
    F-35? Can't seem to find it.

Comment

Here's a quote from the article, " Testing involved the plane repeatedly ascending 35,000 feet, then dropping to just 100 feet above the lake. "

What was that all about?

Comment

http://www.georgewright.org/0580chenoweth.pdf

Some details of the work are provided at this link.

Reams

Comment

One of the great oversights of the Germans was the lack of a long range bomber. When the Russians pulled back trading territory for time to build their army, the German air arm couldn't reach Russian manufacturing centers behind the front. It also hurt them in the Battle of Brittan, although, that was more the lack of fighters being able to stay with the bombers over their target.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
            One of the great oversights of the Germans was the lack of a long range bomber
            Dave, they didn't overlook it: they couldn't afford it. There was indeed a project called the Amerikabomber, and two designs were selected for it -- the Me264 and Ju390. Prototypes of both were built, and there was a wish list of potential targets in the US, Canada and USSR. There are disputed claims that a Ju390 made an experimental round trip to near New York, but by 1944 the whole project was abandoned for lack of resources.

I do wonder if they could have managed it if they gave up on North America and set their sights on Russia alone.
            Last edited by Ralph Jones; 02-12-2019, 11:43.

Comment

I thought the Fuhrer played a role in that insisting all planes be available for a ground attack role. Difficult to design a long range bomber with spars and other systems that will support ground attack. Maybe he just emphasized them at the expense of other projects. Yes, the turn from Brittan to Russia which opened up fighting on more that one front was certainly a major mistake. Stalin was able to move troops from the frontier with Japan when one of their spies confirmed the Japanese planned to move south, rather than into Russia.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yes, the turn from Brittan to Russia which opened up fighting on more that one front was certainly a major mistake. [/QUOTE]
                The Russians did to the Germans exactly what they did to Napoleon -- drop back 2000 miles and let General Winter lead the counterattack. Hitler must have been tremendously ego-driven to think he could succeed against the fundamental geography which had destroyed the army of a much better general.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

In the current book I’m reading, Max Hastings points out that none of our western military leaders were well versed in the scale of operations the Russians and Germans conducted on the Eastern Front.

Comment

Working...
                  X