• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-130 Loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbwM-nBKVaI

That's gotta void the warranty.

Comment

Since it was a LockMart aircraft, they would void themselves.

I find a Max Payload, at 2.5G for 41K pounds. Empty weight of 75K. So a max airframe load of 290K. At 80K pounds, that would be 3.6G.

Easy peazy to do a loop at light weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
        Easy peazy to do a loop at light weight.
        Hi Terry and others,

Anyone know what Gross Weight "VA" is for a C-130?

My understanding is that to calc VA at your actual weight:
        VA @ Actual WT. = (Published Gross Wt. VA x sqrt(Actual WT / Gross Wt.))

Regards,
        Tom Charlton

"The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          "VA" is
          Tom, actually it is a V with a small capital letter B beside it. A V(sub)B. Don't have a keyboard key on here for it, I'd included a chart of it when I wrote the CV-58t0's flight manual at NOR, also a chart for V(sub)A. Looking back, prolly didn't need to but we got that in the FAA's test pilot certification flight school at OKC.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
            Tom, actually it is a V with a small capital letter B beside it. A V(sub)B. Don't have a keyboard key on here for it, I'd included a chart of it when I wrote the CV-58t0's flight manual at NOR, also a chart for V(sub)A. Looking back, prolly didn't need to but we got that in the FAA's test pilot certification flight school at OKC.
            Hi Randy,
            Snoop’n round the intertube I discovered the following:

Va — Design maneuvering speed. The highest safe airspeed for abrupt control deflection or for operation in turbulence or severe gusts. It does not allow for multiple large control inputs. If only one speed is published it is usually determined at max landing weight. This speed decreases as weight decreases.

Vb — Design speed for maximum gust intensity for transport-category aircraft or other aircraft certified under Part 25. Turbulent-air penetration speed that protects the structure in 66 fps gusts.

As a GA pilot I think in terms of Va. Wasn’t cognizant of Vb for transport category aircraft.

Anywho, brought to mind the C-130 that folded a wing whilst drop’n slury on a forest fire.

Regards,
            Tom Charlton
            "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
              Anywho, brought to mind the C-130 that folded a wing whilst drop’n slury on a forest fire
              Yup, remember that one well, IIRC Bob and his wife had that A????? model Herc.

And again, yup, still not really sure about why I included both Va and Vb in the 580 manual.

best, randy

Comment

Working...
              X