New AF CAS aircraft program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always looked at this with a simple mind. If the problem involves the water, let the Navy solve it. If the problem is in the air, give it to the Air Force. If it is on the ground, it's the Army's responsibility.

Sometimes the description of the problem crosses the line between the Services. The Navy ship designed to transport the Army's invasion troops to the beach must be designed to hold not only the troops, but also their equipment. The same with the Air Force planes carrying combat troops; they can't have seats like a commercial airliner.

In the case of CAS, it appears to me the Air Force should design their CAS mission aircraft to support the mission, as described by the Army.

Comment

Yep, another way to look at it. I don’t think anyone’s opinion is wrong here; there’s a fine line between CAS and other combat missions. The Army picked up the rotary wing part, but now wants to specify there will be a dedicated fixed wing jet. The AF wants multi-role aircraft. Looks like this all comes down to who pays for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
        Yes, the conclusion I've come to
        CONCUR!!!!

best, randy

Comment

AF Army relations on this issue

Comment

Hey Terry (mainly but certainly open), I’m going around with some fast mover guys who insist the A-10 is out dated and there’s no need for a dedicated CAS aircraft. The fast movers can do it all. I don’t see how the button pushers can replace eyes on the ground with loiter time. How would fast movers work in close proximity to friendlies? I would appreciate any thoughts. It’s really a corporate culture thing to a large degree. Having done this, I know what I need, but the boys in blue are telling me they know better. :-)
            We can talk at Duluth, if you can wait.

Fast movers have a number of issues in the CAS environment. There is a reason that the A-10 was designed.

Oh, and for fun, ask ANY ground pounder who they want for CAS support. F-16, F-15E, F/A-18, or A-10. I KNOW what the answer is.

Comment

Some folks have discussed the F-35 being used in a CAS role. Here's the info on their gun.
              Only the USAF version has an internal gun. (3 barrel 25mm) The USN/USMC versions will have to carry a gun pod if they want to strafe. (bye-bye stealth)

Comment

Being circulated on the net :-)

Comment

Some folks have discussed the F-35 being used in a CAS role. Here's the info on their gun.
                  Only the USAF version has an internal gun. (3 barrel 25mm) The USN/USMC versions will have to carry a gun pod if they want to strafe. (bye-bye stealth)
                  And the internatl gun has something like 187 rounds to expend.

Talking to a current A-10 guy, they work on delivering about 100 rounds per pass. So for the A-10, that is about 117 passes with a full gun. The F-35 can go a bit over 1 3/4.

Comment

Working...
                  X