X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 years ago today: McCain.

Posted by George Braly on Beechtalk today:

This morning, from an F-8 pilot in VF-162:

"51 years ago today, Oct 26, 1967, LCDR John McCain, VA-163, and LTjg Charles (Chuck) Rice,
    VF-162 (my squadron), flying from USS Oriskany, AirWing 16, were shot down on the same
    strike against targets in Hanoi.

Both survived and spent 5 1/2 yrs as POW’s in Hanoi. They returned home on the same flight
    March 14, 1973.

Chuck is still alive and living in Arizona and Idaho."

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
    Posted by George Braly on Beechtalk today:

This morning, from an F-8 pilot in VF-162:

"51 years ago today, Oct 26, 1967, LCDR John McCain, VA-163, and LTjg Charles (Chuck) Rice,
    VF-162 (my squadron), flying from USS Oriskany, AirWing 16, were shot down on the same
    strike against targets in Hanoi.

Both survived and spent 5 1/2 yrs as POW’s in Hanoi. They returned home on the same flight
    March 14, 1973.

Chuck is still alive and living in Arizona and Idaho."
    Hi Dave,
    Over the last three years it’s been my honor to become friends with Bradley Smith a seven year guy. A member and past president of our local EAA Chapter here in Sarasota. We hang out at our small cow pasture airport.

A link to a recent newspaper write-up from his original hometown:
    http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/aug/1...-down-to-eart/

On release from the hilton Brad continued flying fighter jets for the Navy for many years. Lots of interesting stories.

Regards,
    Tom Charlton
    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Tom: I’ll try to give you a like later. Doesn’t seem to come up in my iPhone.
      I don’t think that folks that didn’t fly out each day on those missions can ever fully understand how hard it must have been to do that.
      On my one mission over the fence, I carried back- up weapon with the thought I would never allow myself to be captured.

Those missions could be a sure-fire way to relieve constipation!
      Last edited by Dave Siciliano; 10-27-2018, 11:42.

Comment

Working...
      X