Mooney Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mooney Summit

The Mooney Summit is an annual gathering of Mooney pilots and prospective pilots. A 2 day even, now held in Tampa. It is an even based on becoming better and safer pilots. And it supports The Bill Gilliland foundation, which provides crisis intervention and financial assistance to downed Mooney pilot’s families.

First day started at noon with burgers on the grill at Peter O Knight Field (KTPF), the some presentations and some time to chat and show off airplanes. The ramp must have had 20+ Mooneys. After the presentations there was dinner of BBQ brisket and sausage. BTW, KTPF is interesting to fly into, as you have to duck under the Tampa Class B, and for Runway 4, not have too long a final or you will be in the MacDill AFB airspace

The second day was in the Tampa International Airport Terminal. There is an area that can be roped off for events. So you are in full view the the passengers in the terminal and they are in full view of you. The presentations included the Vice Chairman of the NTSB (yes, he knows Scott, I asked). Also a representative from the ATC and a couple of local approach controllers . A good give and take between the controllers and pilots about how to make it easier on each. They also highly suggested taking controllers on orientation flights, so they can experience from our side. A full day of safety related presentations.

After the day was over, it was go a local bistro for a "banquet" and the end of the silent auction and a raffle. I thought it was a great gesture, and a bit funny that Dan Bass (read his story here - https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...ccident-photos ) donated 5 CO alarms for the raffle.

Overall, a great time, I learned some things, and met some great people.

Fun fact. A C-17 landed at Peter F Knight one time, mistaking it for McDill. We weren't allowed to go there in the Citation XL because the runway was too short.

https://www.flyingmag.com/news-cause...port-revealed/

Comment

Sounds like fun! Also sounds a little bit like SMXgig of old!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post
        We weren't allowed to go there in the Citation XL because the runway was too short.
        Interesting. At Brandywine Airport, one of the places I instructed, a Citation made regular use of the 3347' runway., with the last half of 27 going downhill. It was always empty of pax, though. Used almost all the runway, but drama-free, much like a King Air. I don't know if the airport was convenient to the pilot's home, or whether they liked the mechanic.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

Interesting. At Brandywine Airport, one of the places I instructed, a Citation made regular use of the 3347' runway.
          Here at Ashland, we have two different operators with Citation 550s on a 3600' runway at 1800' elevation.

Comment

I guess we were just weenies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post
              I guess we were just weenies.
              Live weenies.

Comment

Hey, after flunking retirement, I'm flying copilot in a Citation Sovereign Plus based on a 4,000-foot runway at 2,300 MSL. Gets in and out nicely with a good safety margin unless there is snow and ice. (I didn't believe it was possible until I saw the specs, the Sovereign is a great short field airplane.)

Comment

The Sovereign is an amazing airplane. It can take off out of Hilton Head and fly to West Coast. And both the Latitude and Longitude are improved Sovereigns.
                  Last edited by Bruce Gorrell; 10-14-2023, 18:38.

Comment

Look up the airport on a sectional or electronic version.

Landing runway 4, you have a VERY short final to avoid McDill Airspace. Click image for larger version

Name:	KTPF.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	24878

Approaches only to 22 and 36.

Comment

Working...
                    X