Uh oh, bought an airplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had fun on an instrument approach in the OH-58 once; headwind was strong enough higher up to have zero ground speed at about 40 IAS. When given a hold, we didn't have to do a procedure turn

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hguabmots View Post

Funny. Rode in the back of an $800k SR22 with FIKI Monday.... I was thinking 'wow, this thing has full glass, FIKI would be REALLY nice, goes fast with the gear down - why did I buy that 'Toga??' Uh, because my third was $35k, you idiot.

It has to work hard to go over 150kts, but with my wife and I, full bag of gas, it will go six hours (she has a two hour bladder), and we can take EVERYTHING we want with us. We can fly to LVN, pick up the offspring and spouse, and motor on.
      True, they are many things but not fast. Made some very long trips in a Lance and just accepted that it wasn't going to get there quickly. However, once I got there I'd have everything I wanted with me.

Did learn to drop one notch of flaps on instrument approaches to get the deck angle down. Otherwise the nose could be high enough on the level flight at the MDA portion of a non-precision approach to blank out the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
        We had fun on an instrument approach in the OH-58 once; headwind was strong enough higher up to have zero ground speed at about 40 IAS. When given a hold, we didn't have to do a procedure turn
        My Dad tells of doing a 4 course radio range approach in a Navy SNB (Beech 18), He got the null, then got the signal and dropped the gear, then got the null again. He raised the gear, and flew out of the null. Dropped the gear, and back in the null. Winds aloft were above the speed with the gear down, so he when he dropped the gear, he went backwards relative to the ground.

The approach to Dobbins went right over a certain establishment, with adult entertainment, and a swimming pool. During warm months, the entertainers would work on their tans. ALL OVER tans.

So the Army guys would fly a PAR, and if they had a young sounding controller, they would stop over this establishment. And move up and down and left and right for the controller to give corrections, but never getting any closer to the runway. The guy telling me the story said this would go on for a while, then a much older, more grizzled voice would come on the radio and tell to stop screwing around and finish the report. But it took a while before that happened.

Comment

>>Funny. Rode in the back of an $800k SR22 with FIKI Monday.... I was thinking 'wow, this thing has full glass, FIKI would be REALLY nice, goes fast with the gear down- why did I buy that 'Toga??' Uh, because my third was $35k, you idiot.<<

BEFA (Boeing Employees Flying Association) just got a 2013 SR22T this month...! w/G1000. Not sure that I will step to the head of the line with enough AMUs to regularly take it out, though. Sure looks nice...!

- Reams

Comment

Working...
          X