It’s arrived..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s arrived..

Well, after a six plus month wait, my Sling 2 S-LSA has arrived. Flew it back, across the country, from LA to NY this past weekend. After a few days of transition training, going from steam to glass and lunch on Catalina Island, it was wheels up Friday afternoon. VFR up until I crossed into PA. ADSB weather Capability is amazing, as is my Garmin G3X.

It’s my retirement gift to myself, after a 40 year career. The Sling reminds me of my Tiger, with only 2 seats and a car gas burning Rotax at 5 gah or less.

I don't think that picture was taking at Linden...

We are going to need more pics, too, of course.

Comment

Impressive, I just killed 40 minutes on their web site. Also fun seeing your ADS-B track across the country. Looks to be about the same performance as the RV12 that TT built. Maybe more range... a 6 hour + leg!!! What did it take, about 60-70 gallons to cross the country?
      FlightAware still has a picture of a DA20 with your N Number...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
        I don't think that picture was taking at Linden...

We are going to need more pics, too, of course.
        I moved further north, Linden is no more.

Comment

Very nice, John! Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post
            Impressive, I just killed 40 minutes on their web site. Also fun seeing your ADS-B track across the country. Looks to be about the same performance as the RV12 that TT built. Maybe more range... a 6 hour + leg!!! What did it take, about 60-70 gallons to cross the country?
            FlightAware still has a picture of a DA20 with your N Number...
            I was about to order an RV12 SLSA, but late last year VAN’s suspended production in lieu of the improved 912iS. Only last week did they send me an updated price list (originally promised last October) For the iS. I visited the factory in September then flew to LA to demo the Sling.

All Slings come with 39.6 gallon tanks. I haven’t totaled my times and fuel consumption yet, as we got back, ate dinner, crashed and then that thing called work on Monday. I’ll work on the figures and my log book this weekend. I ran auto fuel while in LA and 100LL for the trip east. I’ll go back to using 91 octane as much as I can after my oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
              Very nice, John! Enjoy!
              Thanks Scott...

Comment

Nice looking.

Does it handle like a Tiger?

Comment

Originally posted by John Tucci View Post

... All Slings come with 39.6 gallon tanks. I haven’t totaled my times and fuel consumption yet, as we got back, ate dinner, crashed and then that thing called work on Monday. I’ll work on the figures and my log book this weekend. I ran auto fuel while in LA and 100LL for the trip east. I’ll go back to using 91 octane as much as I can after my oil change.
                  One of my few beefs with the RV-12 was the fuel tank. As you know the '-12 has a 20 gal tank which completely fills half the baggage area. This to accommodate the trailerably feature. Having tried to create a workable trailer for the '-12 and failed miserably (though I did have a semi-workable prototype at OSH some years ago), I would much rather see Van produce an RV-9 based LSA which would have 40 gals of fuel in the wings by default.

Enjoy the new toy, and fly it out to DLH in September.

Regards - TT
                  Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches . . .
                  ( . . . and Mechanics without Pilots are Unemployed.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tyson View Post
                    Regards - TT
                    X2
                    Tom Charlton
                    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                      Nice looking.

Does it handle like a Tiger?
                      Thanks Terry.

Yes, Like a Fighter. So much so, my friend a former F-15 driver and South West pilot is having Mid-West Sky Sport build an assisted EAB version. It should be ready in September. He was there last week working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tyson View Post
                        One of my few beefs with the RV-12 was the fuel tank. As you know the '-12 has a 20 gal tank which completely fills half the baggage area. This to accommodate the trailerably feature. Having tried to create a workable trailer for the '-12 and failed miserably (though I did have a semi-workable prototype at OSH some years ago), I would much rather see Van produce an RV-9 based LSA which would have 40 gals of fuel in the wings by default.

Regards - TT
                        I might just take you up on that next year, after I retire.

Comment

Well, after a six plus month wait, my Sling 2 S-LSA has arrived.
                          That is fantastic! I enjoyed hearing about it at our dinner in Manhattan. It looks beautiful!

Comment

I moved further north, Linden is no more.
                            Where to?

Linden is closed or just no more for you?

I transferred to Chicago last December. Much easier commute!

Comment

John, hope you enjoy your new toy!! Remember you were going to schedule a fly in lunch somewhere so we can check out the Sling.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X