REAL ID is Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy, I recently obtained a Standard driver's license, when my old DL expired. Because I'll never be riding a commercial plane again, never again enter a Federal building and never be crossing the border, I just let them provide a Standard, avoiding a trip to the DMV. I've used it for ID several times and while exercising my right behind the wheel, like today when I went for a haircut. Ninety-one isn't too old to drive, is it? <g>

Comment

91 and driving sounds pretty good to me! Good to hear.

Comment

So you're forgoing any opportunity to serve on a federal jury or shop at the PX?

Comment

And, Maryland has to "recall" 66,000 driver's licenses.

66,300 Marylanders could have driver's licenses recalled in June as REAL ID deadline looms, MVA says

Comment

Real ID is coming in another sense. This web site which was to store photos, used them to develop facial recognition of it's users. Millions of people uploaded photos to the Ever app. Then the company used them to develop facial recognition tools.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...-them-n1003371

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
              Real ID is coming in another sense. This web site which was to store photos, used them to develop facial recognition of it's users.
              From what I'm seeing, it's being used to train the computer on how to recognize people - it's not taking the faces to ID that person should they show up somewhere else. However, that's a distinction that's likely lost on a number of people.

Comment

If you go on-line and search, there are a lot of FR programs being offered. It's coming. Just a matter of how and when. We are seeing more folks wake up to what's being done with their on-line information even without their permission. Hopefully, some additional measures will be taken to protect privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
                  I got mine last month. My passport expired so I used a birth certificate and two proofs of address.
                  Did you try your expired passport? It is still valid to prove citizenship. And if not expired more than 5 years, usable to obtain new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
                    Andy, when I was a kid my folks kept my birth certificate with the family's important paper. I first used it in 1944 when I enlist in the Air Corps. I kept it and used it several more times while in the Army. Used it when I enrolled in college; when I applied for a driver's license on several occasions in several states; when I applied for SSA; when I applied for a job with IBM.

In the 1970's, when I applied for a passport, I presented it and the clerk said it was not valid because it did not have a raised seal! I explained how I had used it for many years . . . and they finally accepted it. <sigh> All those years and all of those times, it was not an official birth certificate!
                    Also, many people have, for many years, used the hospital certificate of live birth, which is not a legal birth certificate. They are just finding this out. Actual birth certificate is issued by a government agency (state or county).

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                      I mentioned this. This idiot state (I live in MD), mailed REAL ID complaint licenses to a lot of people (now I know 66,300 people) without them providing the supporting documentation. They were supposed to come into provide that.

As I understand it, if you did not supply the proper documentation, they would suspend your license.

But I was wondering what the Feds would think of this, as you would still have the license, and only the state would know it was suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

From what I'm seeing, it's being used to train the computer on how to recognize people - it's not taking the faces to ID that person should they show up somewhere else. However, that's a distinction that's likely lost on a number of people.
                        Although, your passport photo is being used. I had one flight last year out of DTW that used facial recognition for boarding. Did not have to show boarding card or passport. Step up, system looks at you, beeps and flashes green, you board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
                          Andy, I recently obtained a Standard driver's license, when my old DL expired. Because I'll never be riding a commercial plane again, never again enter a Federal building and never be crossing the border, I just let them provide a Standard, avoiding a trip to the DMV. I've used it for ID several times and while exercising my right behind the wheel, like today when I went for a haircut. Ninety-one isn't too old to drive, is it? <g>
                          Nope, my Dad is 92 and still drives.

In some states, REAL ID is not optional. Only way to get a standard license is to be a illegal immigrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Alson View Post
                            ... which I then took back to the DMV and got my "enhanced" driver's license mailed to me. Just wasted a lot of time for something I guess I didn't really need since I could have just used my US passport as the required ID.
                            Enhanced or REAL?

There is a difference. And on other forums, I have seen a LOT of confusion over this.

Only 5 or so states (of course NY is one) issue Enhanced DLs. These work as a passport card for land crossings of the Canadian border.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

Did you try your expired passport? It is still valid to prove citizenship. And if not expired more than 5 years, usable to obtain new one.
                              DMV would not accept my expired passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post

DMV would not accept my expired passport.
                                Mase, I've often wondered about that. The document(s) required to get the original passport didn't just disappear when the passport expired. They continue to be valid.

Comment

Working...
                                X