Airline Travel was a big deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline Travel was a big deal!

Found in family files. Clearly cross atlantic travel via Constellation was a big deal in those days. This is my grandmother's and there is one for my grandfather also.

Andy

Looks like a slight modification of a Navy Shellback diploma...;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
      Looks like a slight modification of a Navy Shellback diploma...;-)
      Yup, t'wuz, some of those Teenie-Weenie pilots had been USN guys back in the big war.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Alson View Post
        . . . Clearly cross Atlantic travel via Constellation was a big deal in those days.
        Yup, t’was a big deal. Now-a-days, t’aint no fun a’tall <no grin>.

Hi Andy,
        Years back, got to know a TWA Capt. Ernie Pretch. Owned and operated Marathon Flight School at KISM / Kissimmee Airport. Capt. Pretch flew those routes for TWA in the Connie. Somehow Assigned, Post WWII, to help set up Lufthansa. Retired from TWA flying 747s. Had lot’s of stories and a bit of a reputation from back in the day. Might’a been a five striper<ng>. Did have a reputation as a flight examiner at his flight school. As a customer buying lot’s of avgas he and I got along real good though<g>.

Regards,
        Tom Charlton
        Glad I got to experience at least one flight (likely 1964) on a TWA Connie KPIT ~ KBOS.
        "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Charlton View Post
          Glad I got to experience at least one flight (likely 1964) on a TWA Connie
          Tomasina, those "triple tails" sure had l-o-n-g landing gear struts. Used to wonder down the flightline at MDW when I was first hired at North Central and gaze at those of Capital's, Eastern's and Teenie-Weenie's. Summer of 60.

(Added later here - somehow in the dark, dark recesses of my memory/mind I seem to recall seeing a Constellation that belonged to Braniff Airlines? Duz anyone here reading this happen to know if that's really so or is just something that I thought I knew of?)

best, randy
          Last edited by Randy Sohn; 07-14-2019, 23:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
            (Added later here - somehow in the dark, dark recesses of my memory/mind I seem to recall seeing a Constellation that belonged to Braniff Airlines? Duz anyone here reading this happen to know if that's really so or is just something that I thought I knew of?)best, randy
            Yup. See this site, Randy: http://www.lloydaereobolivianofriend...EKzQiiBYSFTT4E

There is an extensive write-up on the Braniff International Foundation's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/braniffflyi...4321229637180/

The salient history is said there to be: "Ship N2520B was ordered new by Trans World Airlines and was initially registered as N90819. However, TWA did not take the aircraft and it was delivered new to LAV on October 31, 1946. The Lockheed airliner was registered in Venezuela as YV-C-AME and dubbed Simon Bolivar. Braniff Airways purchased the Constellation used from LAV Linea Aeropostal Venezolana S. A. of Caracas, Venezuela, on August 5, 1955, along with Sister Ship N2521B a few days later on August 10. Both aircraft flew for LAV until they were sold to Braniff in 1955.

Braniff operated Ship N2520B for the next four years until it was withdrawn from use in the fall of 1959 in anticipation of the arrival of the new Boeing 707-227 Intercontinental Jets...."

Comment

Working...
            X