Winter storm Riley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter storm Riley

...has whacked New York pretty hard. 1500 departures cancelled out of JFK & LGA today. Ops resumed on a limited basis this afternoon.

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
    ...has whacked New York pretty hard. 1500 departures cancelled out of JFK & LGA today. Ops resumed on a limited basis this afternoon.
    Ralph - Yeah, glad I got out of JFK yesterday!

On a lighter note, here’s a pirep from this morning (yes, it’s real):

IAD UUA /OV KIAD/TM 1238/FL040/TP CRJ2/TB MOD-SEV/RM VERY BUMPY ON DESCENT. PRETTY MUCH EVERY ONE ON THE PLANE THREW UP. PILOTS WERE ON THE VERGE OF THROWING UP. AWC-WEB

(Remote SEGU)

Comment

Our neighbor's 160-200 year old, 60 foot tall elm blew down. It fell between our houses as we sat down to dinner in the part of the house nearest the trunk. It did considerable damage to his roof, two fences, a pine tree, and miscellaneous shrubbery. We had one storm window frame bent in slightly. Several broken pieces bounced off one of our cars, the impacts were padded by four inches of wet, heavy snow, so no visible damage there.

About four years ago, we had a big limb sawn off (with our neighbor's permission) to reduce the danger to our power and phone drops as well as our porch. Had the limb still been there, it could well have destroyed 1/4 of the house and hurt or killed Hanny and me. Best $750 I ever spent.

As it is, the tree could not have fallen in a safer direction, except for directly upwind into the gale. Base winds were ~50MPH with strong gusts.

The snow is melting in the sun now. I'm about to go out with a shovel to accelerate the process.
      Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Just saw that my next door neighbor had a tree go down. But it looks like it missed

Comment

Poughkeepsie had about 8" of snow and winds over 80mph. We lost power at 6:30pm Friday. I ran my generator until 10pm. Fire Dept plowed my driveway so we could get out. All motels were full, so we spent an hour or two in the Holiday Inn lobby, napping and recharging Nina's and my oxygen concentraters. Finally found a crumby motel, but nice room and all we needed. Only charged $115 for two queen-size beds for the three of us (including our live-in aide). Slept with our clothes on. Came home Saturday, but power still off so we packed necessities and spent another night at the motel.

Power company's web site showed our house's power coming back on at 6pm Saturday. We returned home for good this morning, Sunday, none the worst for wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
            We lost power at 6:30pm Friday
            Apparently the power outages peaked at two million...six dead.

Comment

Geesh Ward. Hope you get things worked out soon. Was going to ask what a crumby hotel was, but it sounds as if you have your hands full. Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                Was going to ask what a crumby hotel was...
                Dave, the lobby was about the size of my bedroom. The clerk was spaced out on something. The front door did not close all the way. But the room had nice beds, plenty of towels, a microwave, a refrig, huge tv, excellent climate control, no adjacent noise. At $99, plus tax, for the three of us, it was just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
                  The snow is melting in the sun now. I'm about to go out with a shovel to accelerate the process.
                  And amazing cut off. I am not that far south of you, and got NO snow. Not even blowing. Just wind.

I lost cable (internet and tv), probably around 2AM Sat from the last email update on my phone. Left the house around 7:30. About 10AM, got a text message from power company that they were working on restoring power, but when I got home around 1PM, power was on.

Cable came back at about 2PM.

Comment

Scott..... on the way to GPS ?

Comment

Working...
                    X