777X wing folding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 777X wing folding

FAA has granted approval for folding wingtips on the 777X, to comply with taxi and parking width constraints. https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/18/...tips-faa-777x/

One of my state science fair judging partners this year was working on this project, and had delayed retirement to help wind it up. He said that the design details necessary - and the tests under ice accumulation conditions (e.g. ice freezes on the structure overnight when in the up condition)- were a bit involved. Sounded like some interesting and complex details in the always interesting structural design strength of materials calcs....

Reams

Comment

Ah, the infamous Wing Intransit light...

Comment

Luckily, there’s not a mind in transit light :-). Some might disable it! No one on this board, of course.

Comment

Well, the only wing folding aircraft I've got some time in was the old USN S2F. Somehow I seem to remember that a USN F-8 took off with the wings folded -but that's not likely a true tale.

Regards,

Dux

Comment

Not an urban legend. Based on the below story, he was not the first person to take off in an F-8 with the wings folded.

https://www.flightjournal.com/f8-wings-folded/

This one has a picture of an F-8 in flight with the wings folded:

http://www.mofak.com/Night_Infamy.htm

Also seems to have been done, once, in an A-7:

I actually served with a pilot who not only took off with the wings folder in an A-7E Corsair, but successfully returned and landed the aircraft. I won’t give his name, but he was very well known in the A-7E community due to this feat, as supposedly he was the only pilot who had performed this feat.

Comment

It's been attempted in just about every Naval aircraft and succeeded in quite a few, including a Skyraider. I personally know of several A-7s, a couple of F-8s and at least 2 F-4s

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post
                It's been attempted in just about every Naval aircraft and succeeded in quite a few, including a Skyraider. I personally know of several A-7s, a couple of F-8s and at least 2 F-4s
                That could make a really cool airshow team...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                  That could make a really cool airshow team...
                  Chuckle, well, ya'know, we always did say that some of the the Niiiiggggghhhhvvvveee guys were sure spectacular!!!!!

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Gorrell View Post
                    Hi Bruce,
                    Just shows ta go ya . . . with enough power, anything will fly. Only thing is . . . you ain’t gonna believe the stall speed<ng>!

Regards,
                    Tom Charlton (who is hoping to not fly his Piper Cub with folded wings)
                    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

The ultimate achievement would be to do it with a TBF/TBM...

Comment

Well, I'm sure that no USN pilot has ever flown that old Stuf (S2F) -also one of a few aircraft called a FLUF. with the wings folded over the cockpit. When we landed at a USAF base some of the line folks would take pictures of the folded wings. (Well, we were asked by the Corpus Christi NAS maintenance folks to try to avoid folding our wings at other non USN bases -we did not always follow instructions).

Regards. Dux, of for a brief visit to BP's this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Duxbury View Post
                          Well, I'm sure that no USN pilot has ever flown that old Stuf (S2F) -also one of a few aircraft called a FLUF. with the wings folded over the cockpit. When we landed at a USAF base some of the line folks would take pictures of the folded wings. (Well, we were asked by the Corpus Christi NAS maintenance folks to try to avoid folding our wings at other non USN bases -we did not always follow instructions).

Regards. Dux, of for a brief visit to BP's this morning.
                          The S2 (and C1 and E1) had a throttle limiter that wouldn't allow more than 30" of manifold pressure with the wings folded. That didn't stop a couple of people from trying it.

Comment

Working...
                          X